Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

"The design unit was not found" error in Modelsim

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all. A basic problem I think. I am returning to Altera Quartus after many years doing other things. I am trying to pick up some old designs written in AHDL and modify them. I can compile, program & test OK (on physical devices) but when I try to simulate in Modelsim (Altera free version) I get the following messages: 

Loading work.Oversample# ** Error: (vsim-3033) Oversample.vo(66): Instantiation of 'maxii_io' failed. The design unit was not found.# Region: /Oversample# Searched libraries:# C:\altera design\Lein\Oversample1\simulation\modelsim\gate_work# ** Error: (vsim-3033) Oversample.vo(97): Instantiation of 'maxii_lcell' failed. The design unit was not found.# Region: /Oversample# Searched libraries:# C:\altera design\Lein\Oversample1\simulation\modelsim\gate_work# ** Error: (vsim-3033) Oversample.vo(112): Instantiation of 'maxii_io' failed. The design unit was not found.# Region: /Oversample# Searched libraries:# C:\altera design\Lein\Oversample1\simulation\modelsim\gate_work 

I can see the list of libraries when entering Modelsim but I guess I am missing something simple for it to use them. Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Keith.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Use MaxII library in your simulation. You can do this by including it in the simulation GUI or by adding parameter -L maxii to vsim command.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the reply. I seem to now get some different errors: 

# Loading work.Oversample# ** Error: (vsim-10000) Oversample.vo(68): Unresolved defparam reference to '\clock~I ' in \clock~I .operation_mode.# Region: /Oversample# ** Error: (vsim-10000) Oversample.vo(99): Unresolved defparam reference to '\clk16~reg ' in \clk16~reg .lut_mask.# Region: /Oversample# ** Error: (vsim-10000) Oversample.vo(100): Unresolved defparam reference to '\clk16~reg ' in \clk16~reg .operation_mode.# Region: /Oversample# ** Error: (vsim-10000) Oversample.vo(101): Unresolved defparam reference to '\clk16~reg ' in \clk16~reg .output_mode.# Region: /Oversample# ** Error: (vsim-10000) Oversample.vo(102): Unresolved defparam reference to '\clk16~reg ' in \clk16~reg .register_cascade_mode.# Region: /Oversample# ** Error: (vsim-10000) Oversample.vo(103): Unresolved defparam reference to '\clk16~reg ' in \clk16~reg .sum_lutc_input.# Region: /Oversample# ** Error: (vsim-10000) Oversample.vo(104): Unresolved defparam reference to '\clk16~reg ' in \clk16~reg .synch_mode.# Region: /Oversample# ** Error: (vsim-10000) Oversample.vo(114): Unresolved defparam reference to '\clk16~I ' in \clk16~I .operation_mode.# Region: /Oversample 

I think I tried that before but as I get even more errors I decided I wasn't heading in the right direction. The errors refer to the only input & output in the source file. I have a very simple test file I am just using to debug the problem at the moment.  

Keith.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

having same problem only in my case here is Unresolved defparam reference '\inst ..something something\' . 

** Error: (vsim-10000) one_min_1200mv_0c_fast.vo(114): Unresolved defparam reference to '\pin_clk_out~output ' in \pin_clk_out~output .bus_hold.# Region: /one 

i have a simple frequency devider module for testing; all libraries are compiled and recognised.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Since googling get me to this discussion, I'm putting an solution that worked for me here. 

Base in the reply of AndrewS6 I check the libraries available and the code that worked was simply 

-L maxii_ver 

to vsim command. 

I still don't get why since I see the libraries in modelsim, they won't load with the project automatically
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

it always goes like this. when you open modelsim-altera's modelsim, you see all the libraries compiled and ready. but your simulation will never see them. don't know why. i usually manually compile few libraries for my project in my newly created library. this way the simulation recognises the new libraries. my problem is that the simulation can not recognize my variables, register names, pins, so on. as if they were unknown libraries. thats what bothers me.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I didn't get , in which file to put -L stratixii_ver ??? I am also getting the same error of http keith

0 Kudos