Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Can't Generate Symbol File - Read-Only Error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In Windows for Quartus II v11.0 I can't generate a symbol file (or AHDL, or anything else) for a bdf file. It says "Can't open read-only file" and the path name. What I've tried: 

Run as administrator 

in DOS ran attrib -r /s /d on whole folder 

Generate symbol file to a different directory 

Windows 7 or XP 

HELP! I'm dead in the water. 

Thanks! 

Bruce
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

this sounds vaguely familiar (pre-11.0), have you searched the forum?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, I've searched and searched. That's how I found the attrib trick.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

wow the bug affects Linux too. can you file a service request? 

i was able to create an HDL file for the .bdf then create a .bsf from the HDL file
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i see you couldn't create AHDL, i converted to Verilog then to .bsf

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In attempting to compile for Verilog, it complains that two flip flops aren't wired properly, yet the project compiles normally and the flip flops are in fact wired properly. So, I cannot try your suggestion. 

Any suggestions on this new bug?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you can download QII 9.1sp2 which was released before the GUI rewrite and try to convert the .bdf

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for all your help Pancake! 

Actually, found a fix. Opened the .bdf in version 10.1, the symbol file creates fine. Then reopen the .bdf in 11.0, and from then on it creates fine too.  

Does my posting this cause this bug to be reported, or do I need to do something else?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

its best to file a Service Request: 

https://www.altera.com/myaltera/mal-index.jsp
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Done. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As a follow up Altera told me they could reproduce the bug, to use my workaround and they would put it in the queue for future resolution. 

In the meantime, we're retreating to V9.1 until these tools firm up. I'd advise Altera to invest in QA to test more user scenarios before releasing these new versions. Working around the tools is taking more time than the development we are doing.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't have a previous install of quartus on this pc, but I get around the bug by creating a file of the same name as my intended symbol name (can be an empty file, doesn't matter), then when I create the symbol in quartus it overwrites this file successfully. 

Annoying but at least it's not too much effort to get around.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's still around under Linux as well with 11.0 :( creating cmp file, workaround on the command line is to 'touch' the filename to create it then set permissions to rwx for all (chmod 777)

0 Kudos