Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16612 Discussions

Problem Installing Quartus II v11.0 Web Edition

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Tried installing Quartus II v11.0 Web Edition, it comes up with this error after extracting many files: 

Extracting 11.0_quartus_free_windows\altera_installer\bin\qt4_plugins\imageformats 

The file "" header is corrupt 

Extracting  

Cannot create folder  

Unexpected end of archive 

Or here, a clearer picture: 

postimage.org/image/2dyi32mis/ 

(Don't know why I need 5 post count or greater to post links. This is unfair =/) 

Downloaded Quartus II v11.0 Web Edition three times and tried installing all three times and it comes up with the same error. 

Oh and by the way I'm using Windows 7 32-bit. 

And according to the information of this program, Quartus II v11.0 is supported by that: 

Operating System Supported: Web Edition 

microsoft windows XP / Vista / 7 (32 bit) 

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.0 and 5.0 (32 bit) 

SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 (32 bit) 

CentOS 4.0 and 5.0 (32 bit) 

Anyone knows how to deal with this? Also, is anyone experiencing this error? :(
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

70 views and no reply? Seriously? 

Please help me out, me be needing it for me project =/
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You downloaded the file three times -- did you check to see if any or all of the MD5 hashes of the three downloaded files matched the MD5 published on the altera web site? If the local file has a matching MD5 to the altera published value, your downloaded file's integrity would not likely be the problem. 

You might want to check that you are following the guidelines about the installation path for the tools. Some tools will prohibit you from using installation paths that are too long or which contain certain characters "$!~/ :" or whatever. I don't recall the specific guidelines for what is restricted by Altera or Windows, but sometimes if you are having inexplicable problems changing the install path to something short and simple like "C:\Altera" is worth a try. 

Also you might consider temporarily disabling or auditing the interaction of windows UAC and any anti-virus / anti-malware packages with the installer. Often such programs can disrupt the action of a complex installer program causing failures. Obviously, as you pointed out, Win7/32 is a supported platform for the tools, so they OUGHT to work with UAC enabled in the normal fashion, but still look for any installation notes/tips that may suggest otherwise. As for anti-virus/anti-malware programs, since those are generally not part of the Windows OS, there probably aren't any "supported" configurations for those with respect to Altera, so you're on your own to assess if they may be causing installation / use problems and to work around any that you may encounter. Often if you get something installed successfully then maybe it will run from that point with things like UAC or anti-virus enabled again even if you might have had to disable them during install. 

DEP data execution protection is sometimes a problematic OS setting which when enabled causes some applications to not work properly. It SHOULD not be that, however, as that ought to go along with Win7/32 being a supported platform, even with a raised level of DEP in effect, but then again, maybe not. . . 

Yes, the 5-post link thing is an annoyance and seems to be an ill conceived setting, simply making it harder for new users to properly cite references relating to their questions / comments..
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Oh and I don't know what the release notes suggest about requiring administrative credentials to install, but you should ensure that you're following the recommended path of either installing it when logged in as a user with administrator rights, or by granting the necessary permissions via UAC escalation or whatever. 

Here's some resources about the installation process. I seem to recall I had to dig pretty deeply into the 

Altera web site and knowledge base to find useful tidbits relating to some important installation instructions that seemed not to be covered by the readme / release notes and such files that were obviously present in the installation files. 

http://quartushelp.altera.com/current/mergedprojects/global/install/gl_view_install.htm 

http://www.altera.com/literature/manual/quartus_install.pdf
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So sorry for the late reply. 

--- Quote Start ---  

You downloaded the file three times -- did you check to see if any or all of the MD5 hashes of the three downloaded files matched the MD5 published on the altera web site? If the local file has a matching MD5 to the altera published value, your downloaded file's integrity would not likely be the problem. 

--- Quote End ---  

Unfortunately the MD5 hashes do not match. Could that be the problem? Or was Altera mistaken with the hash? In any case I'll re-download the file. 

--- Quote Start ---  

You might want to check that you are following the guidelines about the installation path for the tools. Some tools will prohibit you from using installation paths that are too long or which contain certain characters "$!~/ :" or whatever. I don't recall the specific guidelines for what is restricted by Altera or Windows, but sometimes if you are having inexplicable problems changing the install path to something short and simple like "C:\Altera" is worth a try. 

--- Quote End ---  

Tried that with the same result. Thing is since my computer has Asian language support, the backslash has the ¥ symbol. Don't think that is the problem though since installations of other programs worked just fine. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Also you might consider temporarily disabling or auditing the interaction of windows UAC and any anti-virus / anti-malware packages with the installer. Often such programs can disrupt the action of a complex installer program causing failures. Obviously, as you pointed out, Win7/32 is a supported platform for the tools, so they OUGHT to work with UAC enabled in the normal fashion, but still look for any installation notes/tips that may suggest otherwise. As for anti-virus/anti-malware programs, since those are generally not part of the Windows OS, there probably aren't any "supported" configurations for those with respect to Altera, so you're on your own to assess if they may be causing installation / use problems and to work around any that you may encounter. Often if you get something installed successfully then maybe it will run from that point with things like UAC or anti-virus enabled again even if you might have had to disable them during install. 

--- Quote End ---  

Did this one as well (minus the UAC part not sure how that works) but to no avail =/ 

--- Quote Start ---  

DEP data execution protection is sometimes a problematic OS setting which when enabled causes some applications to not work properly. It SHOULD not be that, however, as that ought to go along with Win7/32 being a supported platform, even with a raised level of DEP in effect, but then again, maybe not. . . 

--- Quote End ---  

I guess, like you said, it SHOULD be that so I'll just try changing the system locale to see if that works. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Yes, the 5-post link thing is an annoyance and seems to be an ill conceived setting, simply making it harder for new users to properly cite references relating to their questions / comments.. 

--- Quote End ---  

Yeah that's true but anyone can just simply post random crap, reaching 5 posts then start on their nonsense, the one you speak of. Then again, better something than nothing I guess. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Oh and I don't know what the release notes suggest about requiring administrative credentials to install, but you should ensure that you're following the recommended path of either installing it when logged in as a user with administrator rights, or by granting the necessary permissions via UAC escalation or whatever. 

Here's some resources about the installation process. I seem to recall I had to dig pretty deeply into the 

Altera web site and knowledge base to find useful tidbits relating to some important installation instructions that seemed not to be covered by the readme / release notes and such files that were obviously present in the installation files. 

quartus 

help.altera.com/current/mergedProjects/global/install/gl_view_install 

altera.com/literature/manual/quartus_install 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks for going so far for my problem but sorry they didn't seem to help for this case. 

So this what I'm going to do, hopefully one of the two works =/ 

• Change system locale 

• Download file using a different browser 

Thanks for your help af1010!  

I'll get back here if it works to inform of the solution so it could help others facing the same problem, and if none of the two work, I hope you and/or others are willing to help me out. 

Oh and by the way, if you don't mind me asking, what's the af in your nick and what's the 1010 for?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It is an interesting question whether Altera's published MD5 is accurate or not. If you downloaded the file more than once, and more than one of those downloads have the same local MD5 values, then I'd say that your local files are probably right (or at least is the same as what Altera sent you), and the WWW page MD5 list may be wrong.  

I had an apparent MD5 mismatch problem with the combined linux/windows ".iso" format quartus II 11.0 download a couple of weeks ago, and after verifying that someone else had also downloaded a file with the same 'wrong' MD5, I got Altera to double-check the listing, and, indeed, they had forgotten to update the MD5 listed on the web page when they made a last minute change to the released installer file, so my local MD5 was correct, and their listing was wrong. They fixed that listing, and I assume they would have checked / fixed the other MD5s for the other files at the same time if there was a chance of those also being incorrect. 

Unfortunately I'm on a very limited internet connection, so I haven't personally checked the other MD5s, only the .iso file of the linux+windows combined 11.0 release. 

If you want to try zsync I can get you a zsync file for the 11.0 linux + windows ISO image file, though I don't know how much that corresponds to the data in the "windows only" or "linux only" files, and, anyway, it wouldn't help if you already deleted your "incorrect" downloads. 

There are some recent posts about some of quartus 11.0's software (maybe qsys?) not working properly (giving strange error messages and failing) if the locale is not set to something like "en-US"; I'm not sure if it could also cause the problems you've experienced. 

af1010 doesn't really stand for anything, I just wanted to be able to remember it was for altera forums when I wrote it down or had it stored in the browser history.  

Good luck with your new download / install. 

If it doesn't work you should save the new file, check the local MD5 versus Altera's page, and ask altera about whether they've been listing the correct MD5 for whatever version you've downloaded -- chances are your file may be OK after all, though that would be frustrating since it would mean that you still have to figure out some other reason why the installer doesn't work. 

--- Quote Start ---  

So sorry for the late reply. 

Unfortunately the MD5 hashes do not match. Could that be the problem? Or was Altera mistaken with the hash? In any case I'll re-download the file. 

Tried that with the same result. Thing is since my computer has Asian language support, the backslash has the ¥ symbol. Don't think that is the problem though since installations of other programs worked just fine. 

Did this one as well (minus the UAC part not sure how that works) but to no avail =/ 

I guess, like you said, it SHOULD be that so I'll just try changing the system locale to see if that works. 

Yeah that's true but anyone can just simply post random crap, reaching 5 posts then start on their nonsense, the one you speak of. Then again, better something than nothing I guess. 

Thanks for going so far for my problem but sorry they didn't seem to help for this case. 

So this what I'm going to do, hopefully one of the two works =/ 

• Change system locale 

• Download file using a different browser 

Thanks for your help af1010!  

I'll get back here if it works to inform of the solution so it could help others facing the same problem, and if none of the two work, I hope you and/or others are willing to help me out. 

Oh and by the way, if you don't mind me asking, what's the af in your nick and what's the 1010 for? 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Another effective way of installing Quartus II 11.0 Web Edition is to click on the download windows version on this page: https://www.altera.com/download/software/quartus-ii-se (https://www.altera.com/download/software/quartus-ii-se). Once started you can deselect the Subscription Edition and select the Web Edition instead.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

It is an interesting question whether Altera's published MD5 is accurate or not. If you downloaded the file more than once, and more than one of those downloads have the same local MD5 values, then I'd say that your local files are probably right (or at least is the same as what Altera sent you), and the WWW page MD5 list may be wrong.  

I had an apparent MD5 mismatch problem with the combined linux/windows ".iso" format quartus II 11.0 download a couple of weeks ago, and after verifying that someone else had also downloaded a file with the same 'wrong' MD5, I got Altera to double-check the listing, and, indeed, they had forgotten to update the MD5 listed on the web page when they made a last minute change to the released installer file, so my local MD5 was correct, and their listing was wrong. They fixed that listing, and I assume they would have checked / fixed the other MD5s for the other files at the same time if there was a chance of those also being incorrect. 

Unfortunately I'm on a very limited internet connection, so I haven't personally checked the other MD5s, only the .iso file of the linux+windows combined 11.0 release. 

--- Quote End ---  

Sorry to hear that, both about your MD5 problem and your limited connection.  

--- Quote Start ---  

If you want to try zsync I can get you a zsync file for the 11.0 linux + windows ISO image file, though I don't know how much that corresponds to the data in the "windows only" or "linux only" files, and, anyway, it wouldn't help if you already deleted your "incorrect" downloads. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks but it's okay, I've got it sorted out already. 

--- Quote Start ---  

There are some recent posts about some of quartus 11.0's software (maybe qsys?) not working properly (giving strange error messages and failing) if the locale is not set to something like "en-US"; I'm not sure if it could also cause the problems you've experienced. 

--- Quote End ---  

No it wasn't the cause of the problems the real cause, well I'm not really sure but there's a solution for it. It's below. Hope it helps others facing the same problem I've faced. :) 

--- Quote Start ---  

af1010 doesn't really stand for anything, I just wanted to be able to remember it was for altera forums when I wrote it down or had it stored in the browser history.  

--- Quote Start ---  

Haha okay 

--- Quote Start ---  

Good luck with your new download / install. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you for the wish! I guess it succeeded with your wish, or something. :p 

--- Quote Start ---  

If it doesn't work you should save the new file, check the local MD5 versus Altera's page, and ask altera about whether they've been listing the correct MD5 for whatever version you've downloaded -- chances are your file may be OK after all, though that would be frustrating since it would mean that you still have to figure out some other reason why the installer doesn't work. 

--- Quote End ---  

Ookay the MD5 is the same, just checked. This can only mean two things: 

• They only recently changed it 

• The ones I downloaded are, I dunno, corrupted? What is the MD5 for anyway? 

--- Quote Start ---  

Another effective way of installing Quartus II 11.0 Web Edition is to click on the download windows version on this page: zzz.altera.com/download/software/quartus-ii-se 

zzz.altera.com/download/software/quartus-ii-se.  

Once started you can deselect the Subscription Edition and select the Web Edition instead. 

--- Quote End ---  

Deselect? I don't see the "deselect" option, unless you mean click on the "Quartus II Web Edition" on the left. 

Anyway this is how I dealt with it and managed to get it to install perfectly and work too: 

[list=1] 

[*]use firefox to download web edition but... and... 

[*]use altera's download manager to download the huge file 

[*]install the file after downloaded 

[*]works! 

[/list] 

That's it! Don't know what really was the problem though. 

Thanks a lot af1010 and josyb for helping me out! If there's any help you two need I'll help if within my capabilities :)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm glad to see that the file was able to be successfully downloaded and installed. 

The MD5 is a particular sort of arithmetic function called a 'hash' calculated in a specific way based 

on each sequential byte of the contents of the file. It is used like a checksum in that it is a short number 

that can be quickly calculated based on the contents of a file, and compared against a published original 

value. If the MD5 for the local file matches the previously calculated value for the known good original file, it is extremely likely that the two files are identical in contents. 

I find that it is hard to successfully download such large files without some kind of error / corruption when not using some kind of robust download manager / download protocol, and the web based download manager Altera currently offers is about the most basic of options that will "usually" work. Even so, I usually try to use 

a better download manager / protocol since the browser based versions are still pretty limited in capabilities 

and reliability if you have a particularly difficult set of circumstances during the download. 

Good luck with quartus 11.0!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you!

0 Kudos