Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20640 Discussions

Verilog Generate Inquiry

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I have a question about the usage of generate statements in verilog (not SystemVerilog). I am using Quartus II 9.1 sp2 (subscription ed.) and the Cyclone II (DE2 Board).  

For my current application it would be convenient to initialize and increment multiple genvars in one for loop, for example: 

genvar i,j; generate for (i=0, j=0; i < 16; i = i+4, j=j+1) <--- This begin: label .... endgenerate  

The error is 10170, expecting ".", or "(". Similarly this causes an error: 

genvar i,j; generate i = 0; <--- This .... endgenerate  

Is there any way to assign values in this way or initialize/increment multiple genvars? I know that in an always block, it is possible to do this using integers (but using an integer in the generate block above also generates the same error).  

Finally, depending on the state of my state machine I would like to instantiate different modules, however state is a reg. Is there any way to do something like this: (I receive the error that state is not a constant value): 

genvar i,j; generate if (state == 3) <--- This .... endgenerate  

(These are just examples; specifially I am designing an FFT and need to instantiate many LPM_MULT modules using values stored in arrays of registers. The above examples are sufficient illustrate my questions, but I have also included the portion of my circuit below which includes all the errors mentioned above).  

I would greatly appreciate any feedback or suggestions 

Thank you 

genvar gm, gi, gtemp_count, sin_index; // gm and gi are for loop indices generate if (state == 2) begin gtemp_count = 0; for (sin_index = 0, gm=0; gm<2; gm=gm+1, sin_index = sin_index + 2) // Unfortunately sin_index needs to change in this for loop as well begin : outer for (gi=gm; gi<64; gi=gi+2, gtemp_count = gtemp_count + 1) // same with gtemp_count, it would be convenient to change both begin : inner mult M1 (clock, sin_lookup, Imag, temp1); mult M2 (clock, sin_lookup, Real, temp2); mult M3 (clock, sin_lookup, Real, temp3); mult M4 (clock, sin_lookup, Imag, temp4); end end end endgenerate
0 Kudos
0 Replies