Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20703 Discussions

FPGA for Video and Audio Processing

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, I'm new here, and need help. 

I'm looking for FPGA board for high definition (up to 1920x1020@60) video and audio processing. Can anybody suggest me development or starter kit for me. Also I want to do some measurements for example measure amplitude of video and audio signal, noise and such simple measurements. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would suggest Stratix IV Video devkit.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks a lot, but for me this devkit is too expansive :)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Then check out Cyclone III Video devkit. I have this one, but Altera made a huge mistake in such devboard by adding a level converter on HSMC connectors for clock wire, which is only capable of 100MHz max. Now I can't connect any of mine HSMC boards: either with 1gbit ethernet (clk=125MHz) or DVB-ASI board (clk=135MHz)... Huge FPGA with no possibilities to add any fast boards.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks a lot dear Socrates for your help.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Better tell us Your budget, so we could help You more.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes with great pleasure:)  

Now I have one non-commercial project, just help my friend and learn at the same time. I need to do some measurement of video signals (composite, component, S-video, also HDMI up to 1920x1080@60 resolution). 

The measurements are amplitude, frequency response, linearity, noise, delay between components signals, resolutions, frame rate and everything connected with video signals. I then send the results of measurements to PC or Laptop by USB or by RS232.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Basically Your requirements has nothing to do with video development itself. You need a development kit with fast ADC then and USB interface. USB is easy to do if You use FT2232 or any other FTDI chip. With FT2232 You can get 40mbps afaik.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I also thought about it. For PAL/NTSC video signal can be, because the sampling frequency 13MHz, but what about high-definition components video. They require very high sampling frequency ~75 MHz. What do you think, USB-port has enough speed to transfer A/D data directly to PC for future processing?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It depends on the USB chip. 75MHz sampling freq for ADC is not a problem. You can use several ADCs and phase shifted clock for the best accuracy. Maybe You can use ethernet? It is possible to get up to 900mbps afaik using gbit link.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

good thread i also need like this board

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

recently I have found this eval board  

http://www.geosemi.com/niobe_brief_rev_1.0.pdf 

What do you think Socrates is it good?  

this board have all video inputs and 3 decoding ways inside.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is it FPGA based? I don't know any such image processors as used there, so can't tell You if it's good or bad.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can you suggest me one PAL/NTSC and one HDMI receiver daughter card with HSMC connector. I think better to purchase FPGA kit with 2 HSMC connector and daughter card, it will be much more flexible for me.  

And thank you for your help.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Check bitec

0 Kudos