Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

copying hex data from Excel to Memory Editor

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I need to copy a bunch of rows of hexadecimal data from Excel into memory editor cells, but the copy isn't accepted. The data in Excel is displayed as hexadecimal and are the results of an equation (=DEC2HEX(ROUND(I77*4095/60.5,0)). Also tried copying into text file with .mif extension, but the other .mif lines (e.g. END) aren't created, so the .mif file is rejected due to syntax errors. I'm starting to enter the data by hand, but it's going to take a long time. Anyone know of a simple way to do this? 

Thanks, GMM
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i've never directly created .mif files, but can't you copy the header/footer from a .mif file created with Quartus to your .mif file? 

i normally put memory initialization data into a VHDL package as an array and call the array in an instantiation of the Quartus II RAM/ROM template
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Looks like can create a .mif file with "dummy" data in it, then open it in UltraEdit & copy directly from Excel to the .mif file. Thanks

0 Kudos