Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20642 Discussions

Qsys VIP suite with Quartus II Web Edition

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I have recently discovered that DSP Builder is not available for Quartus II Web Edition. My hope was to use the Video and Image Processing (VIP) MegaCore functions to create a high level design and than compile the design in Quartus II using the Signal Compiler. 

q: 

1) My question is, can I do something similar using Qsys in the free Quartus II Web Edition or do I also need a subscription and licensing for this? 

I am totally new to Altera's software but have started following the Qsys design tutorial (tt_qsys_design and intro). I noticed in the Component Library there are a set of the same MegaFunctions that Simulink uses for the video and image processing. I am hoping that I can use these libraries later on after I have a better understanding of Qsys and create a video encoder design to download to the FPGA I purchased (Cyclone III EP3C40Q240C8N) 

Any feedback on this will be very much appreciated. 

q: 

2) Perhaps it would be best to get the subscription license of Quartus II and DSP Builder? I am on a tight budget doing a project as an undergraduate student. 

Cheers
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

to clarify, VIP Suite blocks are not in DSP Builder anymore. i think around 9.0 they were taken out 

you can use DSP Builder with Web Edition but it does require a paid license 

using VIP Suite in SOPC Builder/Qsys is the way to go, it saves a lot of port mapping
0 Kudos