Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Problems with Quartus Prime 16.1 Lite Edition

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've installed Quartus Prime 16.1 Lite Edition, on my new laptop (Dell 8Gb RAM, Windows 7 pro installed), the installation went without problems, but I can't get it to launch after that, I've tried reinstalling it few times without success. 

When I installed "Intel FPGA Monitor Program 16.1 ", I didn't have this problem with it 

Any ideas on how I might solve this problem ? I'm guessing that it is a missing DLL but I don't have a way to verify that 

I'd appreciate the help
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What exactly happens when you try to start Quartus? Sometimes it takes a while for the program to start, and with only 8 GB of RAM in your machine, that could be part of the issue. Does it show up in Task Manager?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

What exactly happens when you try to start Quartus? Sometimes it takes a while for the program to start, and with only 8 GB of RAM in your machine, that could be part of the issue. Does it show up in Task Manager? 

--- Quote End ---  

It seems t be loading for some time then nothing happens. 

I have friends how have it working on their machine with 8Gb of RAM, 

It shows up in task manager only for some time after being launched
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have you done a full uninstall and then reinstall or are you just re-installing over the existing install?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

tried that multiple times, always reinstalling first and deleting corresponding registry values with CCleaner

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't know if it is relevent but, didn't have this problem when I installed "Intel FPGA Monitor Program 16.1"

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I looked that up. It's part of the university program? It's not really Quartus. 

Can you try installing in a different location or maybe try an external drive? I can't think of any reason why you would have a problem starting the program.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What I tried to do : I installed it on a windows 7 VM, the problem here is that for compiling I need to setup a JTAG server on the host machine and to do that, I need to open Quartus, so that doesn't solve it (maybe there is another way to configure a JTAG server that I'm not aware of). 

For the problem, I though that it may be because of a missing DLL, do you know what DLLs might cause this problem if they are missing?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No, I don't. What VM software are you using? I run Quartus on a standard Windows 10 machine but I also run it on a Mac through a Parallels VM with no problems. 

I'm not sure what you mean by a "JTAG server." A JTAG connection, usually using a USB-Blaster pod or circuitry on a dev kit, is required to the device for programming. If you don't want to install full Quartus, you can just download and install the Quartus Programmer from the download site.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm using virtual box, for JTAG server part, it was the instructions that I found when looking why I couldn't program with it. 

I need to configure a SOC (as part of a course I'm taking), can I do that with the Quartus programmer? we're doing it with Qsys.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, you can configure the device if you have a programming file, but you need to be able to compile your Qsys system design using Quartus to generate that.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So, what you're suggesting is that I do the compilation/simulation ... using Quartus on my VM then use the programmer to programmer the board, am I correct ?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If Quartus is running fine in your VM, then yes.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Got it. 

Thank you so much for your time and energy, and for your patience.
0 Kudos