Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

question about quartus

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

I am wondering if Quartus uses multiple threads, and whether it runs faster on intel core i3, i5 or i7? The compile and simulate time is very long to run vhdl code on my own computer, so I wanna buy a new fast one!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes it can, buit I think you need a full licence version to take advantage. It will only speed up the design by about 10% though, so its not a massive increase. THe best way to speed it up is a faster processor and more RAM.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

But - simulation cannot use multi threads - so you need a faster processor.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Go to assignments -> settings -> compilation process settings -> select "use all available processors" and select "use smart compilation". The compilation time does reduce slightly. 

You can also go to tools -> advisors -> compilation time advisor and tweak some settings. [Some of these settings have a negative effect on Area and Timing].
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, you can read also :recommandations for fast pc (http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=120291&postcount=1)

0 Kudos