Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

Byte Blaster II problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have a Byte Blaster II old one(of 2002),if i connect to LPT port it shows Byte Blaster II in quartus programmer,but when i connect it to target device(i.e Cyclone IV GX PCIE board), its unable to scan the JTAG chain. 

I need your help in debugging the Blaster. 

PS: for same board Byte Blaster MV is working.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Check your BIOS settings. Could be that your parallel port EPP/ECP mode is not playing well with the Byte Blaster. 

Also, what voltage is your target logic ? As I recall the old Byte Blaster II was a 5V device, though I have seen it work on 3.3V boards.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In quartus programmer it is getting detected.(showing byte blaster II), the problem is unable to scan the JTAG, I tried to debugg it, It has LT part and few transistors(around 20nos). 

My target logic is 2.5V its a cyclone iv GX device.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If as per ur saying,byte blaster is working and detected and for other boards it works nicely then it seems the problem of JTAG in your FPGA,though not sure.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Supal Shah, 

The target board i have checked with byte blaster mv/USB blaster, its working fine. 

I even reduced the length of jtag cable, No result. i think some components have gone bad in Byte Blaster II.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think your problem is that the ByteBlaster II was really intended for 5V logic, whereas the MV (=Multi-Voltage) was designed to work with lower voltages.  

I'm sure the BB will not work on 2.5V logic. Any way to increase your JTAG chain logic to 3.3V ?
0 Kudos