Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

Connect USB Blaster to Altera Live Design Evaluation Board ( LPT )

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi ! 

I'm from Poland and I have problem with connect USB Blaster to Evaluation Board. 

I have Altera Live Design Evaluation Board with ByteBlaster ( Port LPT ). 

I buy USB Blaster and I don't know where connect it. 

I use Quatrus II 10.1 and USB Blaster is connect to HARD_TDI,TMS,TCK,TDO , when I try start programmer get this error : 

""unable to scan device chain. cann't scan jtag chain" 

All connection is corectly. Maybe I should disconnect a buffer (u1c) ?? 

I apologize for my poor english :(
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I have the same board and now I'm buying the USB blaster cable so I will run into the same problem, did you find a solution? 

Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Googling for "Altera Live Design Evaluation Board" shows an Altium kit. 

Could you post the schematic. 

From the ones I found, it looks like they only have a parallel port connector, rather than the recommended 10-pin header. 

You can make an adapter to take the TCK/TMS/TDI/TDO signals between a 10-pin socket and a DB25. You'll also need a ground, and a power signal for the buffer inside the USB-Blaster. You'll want to connect to the PP_HARD_Txx signals. For the power, use one of the other data signals that are pulled up to VCC. The USB-Blaster buffers won't draw much power. 

Send a complaint to Altium. Perhaps they have an adapter cable. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Today I got my Terasic USB Blaster cable and I got it working with the LiveDesign board. 

first, in the USB blaster cable I removed the 10 pin ribbon connector and replaced it with individual flying leads, this is only to make it easier to connect each pin to the board. 

Then I connect: 

USB Blaster (10 pin) -> LiveDesign (J1C 26pin) 

1 TCK ------------------> 2 

2 GND ------------------> 25 (you can use any pin from 25 to 18) 

3 TDO ------------------> 11 

4 VCC ------------------> 3.3V located at JP2 

5 TMS ------------------> 3 

9 TDI ------------------> 8 

Note that pin 4 (VCC) is connected to a different header because the J1C connector doesn't provide 3.3v. 

Now, this works perfectly with Quartus II ver. 9.1. I use windows 7 64 bits. 

However when using latest Quartus ver 11 then sometimes it detects the cable, sometimes it doesn't. I can't understand why. But 9.1 works flawlessly. I already tested several projects and they all load ok. 

I use LiveDesign board with Cyclone I FPGA. 

For the drivers, I just use the ones that come with Quartus under ...\Altera\11.0\quartus\drivers\usb-blaster 

Good luck to all 

e.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Today I got my Terasic USB Blaster cable and I got it working with the LiveDesign board. 

--- Quote End ---  

Great! 

--- Quote Start ---  

Now, this works perfectly with Quartus II ver. 9.1. I use windows 7 64 bits. 

However when using latest Quartus ver 11 then sometimes it detects the cable, sometimes it doesn't. I can't understand why. But 9.1 works flawlessly. I already tested several projects and they all load ok. 

--- Quote End ---  

When it doesn't work, does the USB-Blaster still get listed in the Programmer when you edit the hardware settings? 

I've noticed it act a little flakey, but I have not bothered to track it down either. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

USB Blaster is not listed in the HW settings, that's the problem I was talking about. 

I did the test with a Max II evaluation board. Tonight I'm working with the Cyclone II LiveDesign board and Quatus 11 works ok (?????). 

But 9.1 works ok always.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

USB Blaster is not listed in the HW settings, that's the problem I was talking about. 

--- Quote End ---  

When it disappears, does the Windows Device Manager show an "Altera USB-Blaster" still? 

I'm not sure what the issue is, but at least if we make a note of what happens, others can comment on whether they see the same issue. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos