Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20644 Discussions

Connecting the Stratix V FPGA on a Intel based motherboard with windows 8.1

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am trying to connect the Stratix V GXEAN-01 board to a Motherboard using PCIe on x16 slot. The PC runs windows 8.1. I have already setup Quartus standard edition with license and have visual studio with Open CL support. Do you have a FPGA build ( a hello world program) which is a simple program to test if the FPGA setup works OK or not ? If I connected the FPGA out of the box should the windows enumerate the device on device manager atleast as unknown device?  

I do not see any new (unknown or any) device enumerated on the host PC. I can see that some LEDs light up when I turn on the PC and the heat sink on FPGA is running. 

Thanks and Best Regards, 

Fasi
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Development kits (almost) always come with a default load that will demonstrate the basics of it's purpose. PCIe cards generally either ship with such a load already programmed into it or there will be a standard image available with the supporting doc. 

Can you post a link to the board you're referring to? 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Development kits (almost) always come with a default load that will demonstrate the basics of it's purpose. PCIe cards generally either ship with such a load already programmed into it or there will be a standard image available with the supporting doc. 

Can you post a link to the board you're referring to? 

Cheers, 

Alex 

--- Quote End ---  

------------- 

I was informed that the FPGA kit could have been programmed with a test program before it was handed over to me. I don't know which load. Could you please send me a hello program ? 

One of the papers that came with the kit had the following link for downloading the software: 

https://www.altera.com/products/boards_and_kits/dev-kits/altera/kit-sv-gx-host.html 

Thanks, 

Fasi
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The 'hello' program you want comes as part of the 'Kit installation' you can download from that link. Don't expect it to print 'hello world' - it's not that sort of board. However, the sample projects that do come with the kit installation will be appropriate to the board. 

That board does ship with a load that should allow it to do something out of the box. Read the User Guide carefully. Check jumper and dip switch settings. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos