Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Re: Using ModelSim.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am new to the Altera Forum and want to get straight in and ask a question about using ModelSim-Altera. 

I am currently using the DE1 development board in conjunction with the Quartus web edition V.11 software. I have also installed ModelSim. 

I have compiled a design in Quartus and now want to simulate the design. I have followed instructions that tell me to set up the EDA tools by pointing to the following file: 

/11.0/modelsim_ae/bin 

I cannot find this file anywhere on my PC.  

Could you please tell me how I may find this file so that I can start using ModelSim-Altera? 

Regards, 

Xen
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

modelsim is installed separatly from quartus. 

you can download the starter edition here: 

http://www.altera.com/products/software/quartus-ii/modelsim/qts-modelsim-index.html
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you talking about the menu T"ools | options | EDA Tool Options" where you have to indicate the path to Modelsim? 

If you've properly installed Modelsim, you should have an icon on your desktop. 

It should be enough to right click on the icon and read the path of the Modelsim executable. 

Maybe it's not the /11.0/modelsim_ae/bin.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's probably C:\altera\11.0\modesim_ase\bin\ or /opt/altera/11.0/modelsim_ase/bin/

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

on Windows the path looks something like: 

D:\altera\11.0sp1\modelsim_ae\win32aloem
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Guys, 

I have just got back from holiday, so I apologise for the lateness of my reply. 

Thaks a lot, ModelSim now works! 

Regards, 

Xen
0 Kudos