Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

Generate Simulation data from RAM or ROM table and acquire with Signal Tap Analyzer?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've designed a filter in matlab and generated HDL code and a test bench for this filter and successfully simulated this design in modelsim. i'm trying to verify the results by Programming the design on the Cyclone II FPGA and getting it's output. i'm not sure how to do this i've been told in a different post to acquire simulation data from a RAM or ROM (How? http://www.alteraforum.com/images/smilies/confused.gif ) and acquire with the signal tap analyzer? how do i provide Data input for my filter? and how do i get it's output from the FPGA? 

I need as much as help as i can on this process. Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

One final thought can't i simply use the test bench generated from matlab and program that on the board to verify it's results.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Test benches are, usually, not synthesizable... 

I assume your filter's input is a N bit vector which provides 1 sample per clock. 

If you want to run the test with L samples, you need a NxL ROM with the samples (you can use a megafunction for that). 

Then you need to connect the ROM's output to your filter's input and add a counter to cycle through the ROM's addresses.b 

You can then use SignalTap to see the filter's output.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Please do not multipost your question

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Test benches are, usually, not synthesizable... 

I assume your filter's input is a N bit vector which provides 1 sample per clock. 

If you want to run the test with L samples, you need a NxL ROM with the samples (you can use a megafunction for that). 

Then you need to connect the ROM's output to your filter's input and add a counter to cycle through the ROM's addresses.b 

You can then use SignalTap to see the filter's output. 

--- Quote End ---  

For the ROM do i use the NCO megacore? and how do i add the counter to cycle the rom's addresses? i know SignalTaps trigger when a trigger condition is met. for a filter what would be considered a trigger? sorry for the seemingly basic questions, but i'm all new to this and can't seem to find these information anywhere. thank you once again.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Please do not multipost your question 

--- Quote End ---  

Sorry not a lot of people post on this Forum so i figured if i posted in multiple sections i would get a faster reply.
0 Kudos