Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

Area of the design

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have designed a CPU and synthesis to FPGA, I can see how mant logical element,register only, Combinational with a register, LUT these information in the compilation report. And I have seen what this mean in the cyclone 3 handbook. I just want to ask is there any information about the area of these each part? Or is there any way to see the total area of my design? Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

visually? If yes, go to chip planner

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your reply. I have had a simple view of the chip planner. Can it know the exactly size of my design? Since I invetegate the infunence of reducing instruction sets. I want to know the change of area when I reduced the instruction sets. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Not that I know of! Why won't the "Resource Utilization by entity" not help you?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your reply. Can you say it more detail? As sometimes when I reduced the instruction, the compilation report shows that the logic elements which the design used is increased. But in theory, when I reduced the instructions, the power consumption of my CPU should reduced. But I can't see this result from the the number of logic elements it used. Since large area means more power consumption. So I want to know the change of area size of my design to see the change of power consumption of my CPU core. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There is a tool called as "power play" in quartus.  

http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/qts/qts_qii53013.pdf I haven't used this option. I am not sure if this helps you but take a look at it.
0 Kudos