FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5924 Discussions

DE2-70 and Terasic LCD touch screen and NIOS 2 project

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I am kind of new to FPGA. 

I tried reverse engineering projects from DE2 and migrate them to DE2-70 to learn how SOPC is used to create the NIOS system. So far, I only managed to make the Example 2 Pixel Buffer to work on the DE2-70. Example 1 Character Buffer compiles and loads to the board but nothing is displayed on the VGA monitor.  

Seen that I was able to display pixels to the VGA monitor, I proceeded to tried to display the image in the LCD touch screen. I have been trying to make the LCD touch screen work with NIOS2 on the DE2-70 board for the past month and the experience has been frustrating. The examples provided by the CD is all in verilog without NIOS 2 system. I do not know what components to add to the SOPC when building the NIOS system.  

All I want to get started is to be able to interact with the LCD touch screen. Anyone managed to make the LCD touch screen work with NIOS 2? I know the board is pretty old but when I bought it, Cyclone III was just released. I should have waited a bit before buying the board. 

Peter
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm not sure if you've see these, but I highly recommend starting with the DE2-70 demonstrations from Terasic : http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=53&no=226&partno=4 

I've gotten the LCD screen to work very well on the DE2 and DE2-115, in one of the demos there's probably one which has LCD.h and LCD.c which cover the basics for your use of it.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I got the LCD to work. I am trying to make the Terasic LCD Touch Panel to work. This is the model http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=68&no=213

I also managed to make Example 2 Pixel Buffer of DE2 board to work. Example 1 Character buffer is not working for me.
0 Kudos