Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

How generate .SOF

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I construct new project, and i created new SOPC. After i generate the design. 

Second i make the assignement pins for the IP. When i passed to download the program after the compilation of project finished, i don't find the SOF file. 

Please how can i resolve this proble.  

Thanks
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you are targeting an "Advanced" or "Initial Device" for the version of quartus, you can not generate the SOF file. For version 11.0 this is usually the Stratix V at this point. 

If you really need the device support, (IE you have devices in house). Either upgrade to the latest version of quartus, or contact your rep to see if you can get pre-release patch to turn on SOF generation for the family you are targeting..
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did the assembler complete without any error or warnings? Check in the settings that there isn't a specific directory set up for the Quartus project's output file.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Did the assembler complete without any error or warnings? Check in the settings that there isn't a specific directory set up for the Quartus project's output file. 

--- Quote End ---  

Think you for your reply 

Yes the Assembler complete without any error. There are some warnings.  

how can i know that there are a specific directroy set up for the quartus project output file as you say?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

If you are targeting an "Advanced" or "Initial Device" for the version of quartus, you can not generate the SOF file. For version 11.0 this is usually the Stratix V at this point. 

If you really need the device support, (IE you have devices in house). Either upgrade to the latest version of quartus, or contact your rep to see if you can get pre-release patch to turn on SOF generation for the family you are targeting.. 

--- Quote End ---  

Think you a lot for your reply, 

I use Quartus 9.1 because this version it given by the board that's a bought directly from the site of Altera. 

I don't know really how i will travel with this board because i met many problem, for example that's i write in this thread http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=126717&posted=1#post126717, and when i start to release my SOPC from the begening i find this problem, really it is shocking for me. 

Ok, my friend can you help me how can i do to abtained the pre-release patch to turn on SOF generation? 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you look in the assembler report and click on "generated files" you'll see all the files created by the assembler and their location. 

To check/change the path the files are generated in, go to the Assignments menu, Settings, Compilation Process Settings, and in the window, check box "Save project output files in specified directory"
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

If you look in the assembler report and click on "generated files" you'll see all the files created by the assembler and their location. 

To check/change the path the files are generated in, go to the Assignments menu, Settings, Compilation Process Settings, and in the window, check box "Save project output files in specified directory" 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes you have a reason, when i try to check the assembler report, i find a warning "Can't generate a programming file because you use evaluation version of Quartus II".
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What FPGA are you compiling for? Some of them (ex: Stratix) require a subscription edition of Quartus.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

What FPGA are you compiling for? Some of them (ex: Stratix) require a subscription edition of Quartus. 

--- Quote End ---  

I use Stratix IV GX, EP4SGX230KF40C2, i need just confirmation from you, when i buy a license, my problem will be resolved, and also will resolved the second major problem for me that is " i have a program that is running on my processor. This program takes about the same amount of time whether the system clock is one frequency or a faster frequency.", i note that the second problem is mentionned in this threads http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31248&page=2

Please reply to this to buy a license.  

Think you.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, for the Stratix IV you will need a subscription edition with a license. Before buying it, you can download the subscription edition and try it for 30 days, so you'll see if it solves your problem before buying anything.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Yes, for the Stratix IV you will need a subscription edition with a license. Before buying it, you can download the subscription edition and try it for 30 days, so you'll see if it solves your problem before buying anything. 

--- Quote End ---  

Now i use the subscription edition, that's mean, i occured this problem in subscription edition evaluation(30 days).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes this is mean, I thought that you would at least have a time limited sof with the 30-days evaluation... I guess your only option is to buy the license then.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Yes this is mean, I thought that you would at least have a time limited sof with the 30-days evaluation... I guess your only option is to buy the license then. 

--- Quote End ---  

This is the problem that i don't understand really, because last year i use stratix II and when i generate my project, appear to me time limited sof. 

But Now never poster this time limited.  

In the attached file there are a screen, that's confirm to me as you say, i have just only solution that i buy a license. Il bought this in the came 10 days. 

Think you very much for your followed for my problem.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Daisxiwen 

I bought a license and now i can generate a limited_time .SOF file.  

Thank you for your guid
0 Kudos