Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

TSE on Cyclone III DSP Deveolpment KIT with uClinux

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi guys, 

I have a working project on a Stratix II development board and i have to move it on a cyclone III. I built the new system starting from nios2_linux_3c120_125mhz project, by removing some peripherals and by adding others, but nothing that involve TSE. Then I compiled uClinux kernel ( nios2-linux-20100621.tar, kernel 2.6.30) but after the boot network doesn't work. I selected Altera Triple Speed Ethernet (SLS) and Marvell PHY in the kernel option. With the command 

ping 192.x.x.x 

i can see the leds RX/TX working fine but i can't reach host destination. I see nothing with wireshark, so i think that there's a problem in initializing tse. I selected Altera Triple Speed Ethernet (SLS) and Marvell PHY in the kernel option. 

Anyone can help me?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are You sure Your timing parameters are correct? I had same issues when timing constrains were bad.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm quite sure. I started from a working project and i made only a few changes (nothing involving TSE or DMA) to adapt it to my requirements. After synthesis I have no error or warning related to timing. 

I think there's a problem in the init phase. I tried to execute the superloop example on this design (which is similar to the original ones) and it works, so I'm thinking there's a problem in uClinux driver.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Try an older/newer port of uClinux then.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I tried, same result. It doesn't work. 

Any other suggestions?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I changed the following instruction in nios2-linux/linux-2.6/arch/nios2/kernel/config.c from 

--- Quote Start ---  

.interface = PHY_INTERFACE_MODE_RGMII, 

--- Quote End ---  

to 

--- Quote Start ---  

.interface = PHY_INTERFACE_MODE_RGMII_ID, 

--- Quote End ---  

and now I'm able to ping another host in the network. I hope this will be useful for someone.
0 Kudos