Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16559 Discussions

USB Blaster II will program but not verify, but USB Blaster will....

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have both the USB Blaster and USB Blaster II. We've been using the Blaster II due to the faster programming speeds. But for some reason I cannot get multiple different and similar boards to program/verify with the USB Blaster II anymore. I've changed the clock speeds using the jtagconfig --setparam 1 JtagClock 6M command however it doesn't work. I've tried the following clock speeds 500k, 1M, 6M and 16M. 

I can program and it will work. "Programmer Operation was Successful" 

However, when I program/verify, I get "Verification Failed for Device number 1" 

Any thoughts? 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What device are you using? Some CPLD can disable TDO which will prevent you verifying it. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

We're using a Stratix III EP3SL1501152C2N and the EPCS64SI16N to program over active serial. We're also using a Stratix V 5SGSMD5K3F40C3N and the EPCQ256SI16N to program over active serial. Neither will program/verify with the USB Blaster II

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Another couple of interesting points (or not...) is that after the device is programmed with the USB Blaster, I can switch to the USB Blaster II and perform a verify and it verifies successfully. I can also perform the "Examine" function with the USB Blaster II and it reads back the correct check sum. Finally I can Program and Verify (as long as it is the same file/checksum) and it works successfully. As soon as a new file with a different checksum is loaded, the Program / Verify function does not work on the USB Blaster II

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Another update:  

I've used the following to program: 

Quartus 14.1 programmer (Licensed Version) 

Quartus 14.1 stand-alone programmer 

Quartus Prime 16.1 Stand Alone programmer 

All have behaved the same and failed to verify. 

Also tried to program from my co-workers PC and it failed to program / verify as well.  

Wondering if this a Windows 10 issue?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

We're using a Stratix III EP3SL1501152C2N and the EPCS64SI16N to program over active serial. 

--- Quote End ---  

Your latest findings in post# 4 suggest a software problem, without this observations I had guessed about a signal quality problem. AS programming interface is quite sensitive to ringing DCLK, a faster clock driver in USB Blaster II might cause it.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

After speaking with Altera, I had to do a full erase on the configuration chips, with the TCK set to 6M. After confirming that the IC was erased, I was able to program/verify with two different PCB's using the USB Blaster II. I don't have an explanation as to why the config chips got corrupted or why the USB Blaster would work and not the USB Blaster II. But for now I am able to once again use the USB Blaster II.

0 Kudos