Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20645 Discussions

Singed M_by_M multiplication

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

how is the signed multiplication performed using an M_by_M carry save array multiplier ???

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you asking about how this type of multiplier works at silicon level (its architecture) or are you asking how to multiply in fpga? 

I personally don't know about various architectures of multiplier technology, I just multiply and get the output and leave that to the tool.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Are you asking about how this type of multiplier works at silicon level (its architecture) or are you asking how to multiply in fpga? 

I personally don't know about various architectures of multiplier technology, I just multiply and get the output and leave that to the tool. 

--- Quote End ---  

thanks for replying Kaz, i meant the architecture, i want to implement my own, i did the unsigned on but not familiar with the signed one(s)...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

We here work on fpga platforms and make use of ready-made blocks of rams/mults/possibly adders/PLL/serdes ..etc. The rest of functions are left to designers to implement in the logic fabric. So we have little choice of available sub-components. 

I know Universities don't draw a clear line between fpga and asic as they prepare students for all areas. Thus the best place for your question is an ASIC forum, they are proud people and know a lot about silicon level design.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Some examples of multiplier architectures are discussed in the Quartus Advanced Synthesis Cookbook 

http://www.altera.com/literature/manual/stx_cookbook.pdf 

Personally, I'm satisfied with the multiplier implementation of the Quartus integrated synthesis, particularly using FPGA hardware multipliers of recent FPGA families.
0 Kudos