Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20703 Discussions

USB blaster windows 7 32bit DE1 board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I recently bought the de1 fpga board. I installed the Cd containing quatus 7.2 web edition, and connected the board. the first thing that shows up is that windows installed it as usb-serial convertor. after trying to program i looked at this forums to find a solution. 

The first thing i did, was installing the 7.2 drivers manualy. after that, the board shows up as altera usb blaster in windows hardware. but i can't select it at all in quartus. 

i tried to install version 11.0sp1 , 9.1sp2 and reinstal the drivers and it all fails. I also tried to reboot and press F8 to disable signatures. I also installed the standalone programmer 7.2 and 10.1 . 

it wont work on my desktop 32 bit windows 7 pro, i also tried on my laptop 64bit win7. it wont work at all on my winxp sp3. 

I also tried to setup drivers using the cmd screen bblpt command. 

on quartus i can select the Ethernetblaster and the bitblaset via LTP1. but no usb blaster. On my laptop i can't see the bitblaster. 

sometimes an error 82 shows up, i tried disabling my firewall. 

I don't know what else i can try. 

Does somebody knows a solution to this problem? 

Thanks in advance !!! 

Jeffrey:)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I have the solution to my problem. 

I bought the DE1 board with the usb blaster 

the first time it was recognised as usb<->serial 

what i did: 

download FTprog form FTDI, whit this you can configuer the FTDI chip, also if it dousnt work in quartus. 

next you have to check that the vendor ID and Product id are the same as in the USBblaster .inf driver. this values were wrong. 

right settings: 

costum VID/PID : Costum VID/PID (not FTDI Default) 

Vendor ID : 09FB (not 0403) 

Product ID : 6001 

USB version nummer USB 2.0 

Bus Powered 

100mAmps 

USB remote Wake Up :off 

Pull Down :On 

Manufacturer : Altera (not FTDI) 

Product Description: USB-Blaster 

Serial number enabled: checked 

Auto Generate Serial No. Uncheched 

Serial Number 91d28401 

or Prefix : 91 

this worked for me (v91sp2) 

FIRST SAVE THE OLD CONTENT TO A XML FILE SO YOU CAN RESTORE THE SETTINGS 

I HOPE YOU GET IT UP
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Unfortunately, the observation about the USB Blaster enumerated as USB-serial (default FTDI type is recognized with blank or invalid EEPROM) was somewhat hidden in your post, so I overlooked it. This is in fact a well known issue that comes up occasionally. It has been discussed several times at Altera forum. 

Good that you found the solution.
0 Kudos