Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20687 Discussions

what is the best altera for my application?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello there. 

I am on my graduate studies and currently starting my proposal for my thesis. My research is currently focusing on image and video processing that involves detection and recognition of objects that will be implemented on traffic scheme. This includes adaboost and haar classifier algorithms. 

My big trouble today is choosing the best altera FPGA that best suits my proposal. 

I really hope you can help me with this. I am planning to buy the hardware as soon as possible. 

thank you.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i forgot to include my estimated budget for the hardware. as much as possible the hardware will not exceed $1000.00. 

Thanks. hope to hear from you guys soon. :D
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I am on my graduate studies and currently starting my proposal for my thesis. My research is currently focusing on image and video processing that involves detection and recognition of objects that will be implemented on traffic scheme. This includes adaboost and haar classifier algorithms. 

My big trouble today is choosing the best altera FPGA that best suits my proposal. 

I really hope you can help me with this. I am planning to buy the hardware as soon as possible. 

--- Quote End ---  

Before buying hardware, you need to determine what interfaces you need, and how much logic each interface requires, and then how much logic your classifier algorithms require. 

Do you have HDL implementations of the classifier algorithms? Have you tried to place-and-route them in Cyclone, Arria, or Stratix devices? 

I would guess that one of the Terasic DE2 series of boards (DE2, DE2-70, or DE2-115) would be suitable for your work. 

http://www.terasic.com.tw/en/ 

They have camera modules that you can interface to the DE2 boards. 

These boards are produced for the Altera university program: 

http://www.altera.com/education/univ/materials/boards/unv-dev-edu-boards.html 

The board pricing is within your budget. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Wow. This is great! Thanks Dave. I'll get back to you the moment i am done with the questions you have asked me. 

Cheers!
0 Kudos