Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Download Quartus II 9.x web edition

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would like to download and install the free (web) edition of the Quartus II v9.x software for linux, but I can't seem to find a SW repository or links to older versions anywhere. 

There are two reasons I need the 9.x version. One is that is the version version we have at school (though its the full version, not the free edition), and the 9.x version uses wavefiles for simulation, but, as I understand, the newer version have a different approach. The other reason is that I want to install it on my 64bit Arch Linux install, and apparently the 11.x version only runs properly on 32bit linux ("https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Altera_Design_Software#Altera_Quartus_v11.0"). 

Is there anyway to have access to the older versions (for linux)? 

Thank you.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Altera have recently decided to remove all archive versions of quartus off their website (for some annoying reason) 

You can download older versions from here: 

ftp://ftp.altera.com/outgoing/release/ 

Btw, quartus completly removed the simulator from Q10+, you can use modelsim instead.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Excellent, thank you! 

I would use modelsim; however my assignments require me to submit wavefiles for the simulation.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i think professors are doing students a disservice by teaching old software tools

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think its probably more a matter of the school not willing to dish out the cash to renew their licence and get the latest version. 

Anyway, the focus of the class is on digital system design and its principles, I guess. We're doing just fairly basic VHDL coding and simulation, so I don't think it will make much difference in the long run for students who want to pursue a career related to VHDL if the fundamentals of the way the software works haven't changed.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

but you can get the altera starter edition of modelsim for free. 

Also - the fundamentals of quartus have changed - there is no simulator any more.
0 Kudos