Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

Software Guidance needed

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Everyone, 

I am Dheeraj Kumar, I need a help from you guys.  

My requirement is to control three serial ports simultaneously, how can i achieve that without any synchronization issues and which FPGA will be better for me.  

I need to control 3 devices with my new development board that i am going to develop. All three devices works on serial port.  

Suppose i need to control fourth Device also, in this case how my FPGA will be supporting this feature. Does we need to partition FPGA into different cores or a single core can handle this implementation. 

Your help is highly appreciated.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

My requirement is to control three serial ports simultaneously, how can i achieve that without any synchronization issues and which FPGA will be better for me.  

I need to control 3 devices with my new development board that i am going to develop. All three devices works on serial port.  

Suppose i need to control fourth Device also, in this case how my FPGA will be supporting this feature. Does we need to partition FPGA into different cores or a single core can handle this implementation. 

--- Quote End ---  

What are the serial devices? 

What are the synchronization requirements? 

What are the serial baud rates? 

What are the serial protocols? 

An FPGA can be used to create as many serial ports as you like. Each serial interface can be buffered with a FIFO. A processor or multiple processors can process each serial port, or you can write a logic-based state machine to deal with a device. 

However, if its on a serial port, its generally slow, and you could deal with the devices using a multiport serial card in a PC ... no need for an FPGA at all ... 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos