Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

FIFO (Dual port ram)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am trying to perform 3x3 kernel image convolution by using 2 FIFO and 3 shift registers so that I can implement a pipelined fifo  

I will prefer not to use the FIFO ipcore in Altera but I dont know how the dual port ram can be used as an FIFO. 

I guess my question is ' can someone explain how the read and write address works in dual port ram for FIFO.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

can someone explain how the read and write address works in dual port ram for FIFO. 

--- Quote End ---  

Cliff Cummings has some nice papers on FIFOs (see the SNUG 2002 papers) 

http://www.sunburst-design.com/papers/ 

I use the Altera scfifo and dcfifo. They work fine. There's really no reason not to use them. You can abstract them out of your 'working' design later. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I guess I will use the scfifo 1st. 

Thank you!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am using the scfifo but I keep getting an error that makes no sense. 

I am sending values (data) into the fifo and my w_enable<= 1. 

But my usedw is always 1? and full is always 0. 

My word length is 8 and the number of Bits =20. 

My code might be a little bit confusing because I have the other variables that I wil use later once I understand how 1 fifo works.  

I am trying to use 2 fifo and 3-shift register to for convolution pipeling. But the important part is the enable block 

module conv_buffer3x3(CLK,reset,en,inPixel,fBuff,line_end,P1,P2,P3,P4,P5,P6,P7,P8,P9); parameter nRows=8; parameter nCols=8; parameter kRows=3; parameter kCols=3; parameter INT_WIDTH=20; parameter ADD_WIDTH= 5; //line is (k-1)*N +K; parameter KxK=9; parameter filled= 63; //line is (k-1)*N +K; input CLK, reset,en,line_end; input inPixel; output reg fBuff; output reg P1,P2,P3,P4,P5,P6,P7,P8,P9; reg fiforeg1_1,fiforeg1_2,fiforeg1_3; reg shiftreg1_1,shiftreg1_2,shiftreg1_3; reg shiftreg2_1,shiftreg2_2,shiftreg2_3; reg shiftreg3_1,shiftreg3_2,shiftreg3_3; wire full_f1,full_f2; wire usedw_f1,usedw_f2; wire output_f1,output_f2; reg re_f1,re_f2,we_f1,we_f2; wire empty_f1,emptyF2; reg data_f1, data_f2; reg cnt; always @(posedge CLK) begin //or negedge RST) if (en) begin cnt<=cnt+1; if (cnt>=0 && cnt<filled) begin fiforeg1_3<=inPixel; fiforeg1_2<=fiforeg1_3; fiforeg1_1<=fiforeg1_2; if (cnt>2) begin data_f1 <=fiforeg1_1; we_f1 <=1; fBuff<=0; end end end else begin //shiftreg1_1<=0; shiftreg1_2<=0;shiftreg1_3<=0; // fiforeg1_1<=0; fiforeg1_2<=0; fiforeg1_3<=0; cnt<=0; we_f1<=0; end end fifo_v1 FIFO1(CLK,data_f1,re_f1,we_f1,empty_f1,full_f1,output_f1,usedw_f1); //fifo_v1 FIFO2(CLK,data_f2,re_f2,we_f2,empty,full_f2,output_f2,usedw_f2); endmodule  

Thank you
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Look at your timing waveform. rdreq is red and its not assigned in the code. 

You need to make sure that all signals on the FIFO are connected and driven to valid logic levels. 

How about the FIFO reset signal? I don't see that being driven either. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos