Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

Timing contraint on top module and sub-module design.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I've just started learning to time constraint my design, so i have a few questions i would like to clarify. 

1) Do i need to redo the time constraint on the I/O port of my sub-module if I've already done it in the top module design?  

2) I know i need to do time contraint on the I/O (port) of my design, but do i need to do time constraint for path (wire) in between 2 components ? 

Thanks. 

regards, 

Michael
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

io means pins and not ports of submodules. 

Timing at submodule level for ports is irrelevant and a burden that should not be allowed.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How about my design in my submodule and sub-sub module? you mean i don't need time constraint for my submodule and sub-sequence submodule? 

I am confussed, could you elaborate?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In a classic integration all submodules lose boundaries and the compiler views all the units as one single program. io then is known as those top level ports that connect to fpga pins. 

When designing submodules there is really no need for io timing because the pins are decided only at top level. However for very serious work(and most designers don't do this) you need to add temporary registers to inputs so that you model the connecting input module at integration. Remember timing tools only check paths between registers plus io (pins) if you tell it the data/clk relation. 

For submodule level io is never needed and I usually cut these paths but may add temporary registers to inputs. 

If your submodule passes timing then it will be refitted at top level and may or may not behave in similar way when standalone. But it must at least pass timing well when standalone.
0 Kudos