Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

Nios II BSP Creation Error (Qsys related)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everyone, 

I am using "Quartus II v11.0", "Qsys" and "Nios II Software Build Tools for Eclipse". 

Right now, I am going through a tutorial on how to create a custom sopc component and interface it to the Nios II processor. In this tutorial, I have created an sram controller SOPC component, and I have added it as an IP to my SOPC system successfully. The problem is that I have no way to indicate Qsys, that this component will be the main memory module (or the only memory module).  

The tutorial assumes that I am working with SOPC Builder instead of Qsys. In SOPC Builder, there is an additional option for an Avalon Memory Mapped Slave Interface, called "deprecated", and the tutorial tells me to check the Memory device box. I haven't found any equivalent in Qsys, because "deprecated" is no longer supported. But, how do I tell Qsys that this component will be a Memory device? 

The real problem is that when I try to create a NIOS II BSP in Eclipse, the following error appears: 

SEVERE: CPU "cpu" has no memories connected to its Avalon master(s) 

INFO: Tcl message: "System timer device is sys_timer" 

WARNING: Tcl script "bsp-set-defaults.tcl " error: CPU "cpu" has no memories connected to its Avalon master(s) 

So, apparently, there is no memory connected to my Nios II processor (called cpu). But I have connected both the Instruction and Data master to my sram memory controller. There were no errors when I generated my sopc.info file from Qsys.  

¿Do you know what could be the problem? 

Thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There are properties that you can apply to the .tcl file that let the tools know it's a memory. If you use the generic tristate controller then apply one of the memory presets should show you the properties I'm referring to. Otherwise check out this document to see what your .tcl file needs (page 4): http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/nios2/n2sw_nii52018.pdf

0 Kudos