Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Jic file/EPCS safe remote update?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am developing a system with a Nios running on SRAM and booting from EPCS (epcs controller). I use a cyclone IV GX. 

I have a serial link which allows receiving data from network. I would like to update the jic file in EPCS using this serial link (both hw and sw images). I understood that a non erasable factory image is needed to prevent a crash when writing a new image. 

Maybe Altremote_update could be what I need but it is not well documented. I especially don’t understand: 

- How the altremote IP manage remote files? Do I have to write the file by directly accessing the epcs with custom logic and then give the address to the altremote IP? 

- Can I write directly a .jic file in EPCS? 

- After configure/reconfigure the FPGA, does the altremote IP let other IP taking epcs control (nios epcs controller, user logic to write epcs…)? 

- is there any example/AN which explain how using altremote_update ip (AN521 doesn’t go into details)? 

Thanks for helping!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Take a look of http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/epcs_based_remote_system_update_(rsu)_example_on_bemicro_sdk 

Although it's quite complex, it does contain examples to most of your questions ... 

Jari
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks, I am reading it.

0 Kudos