Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20644 Discussions

SSN and reserve pins as ground

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

I started doing SSN analysis on my preliminary designs and I found that I had problems with my standard PCI signals (3.0V) creating SSN on other 3.0V I/Os and vice versa. 

I tried a lot of different solutions (fitter placing the pins, etc.) but the one that seemed to work best was to set a lot of pins as reserve to ground. Now it seems to work fine, every I/O on my 3.0V banks now pass the SSN analysis however I get lots of errors for my reserved pins driven to ground. Why is that? How can there be SSN on pins that drive ground directly? Is this a real problem or can I explain it away? 

Best regards
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

what exactly do you mean by getting errors on the reserved pins?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I mean SSN errors. i.e. more than 80 or 90% of noise on the reserved ground pins (I set them using pin planner)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I mean SSN errors. i.e. more than 80 or 90% of noise on the reserved ground pins (I set them using pin planner) 

--- Quote End ---  

Reserving pins as ground in the pin planner does nothing but tell the pin planner you have connected those pins to ground. If you haven't actually done that on the PCB, then you will not gain any advantage. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

The PCB isn't done yet, I'm trying to perform pre-layout SSN optimisation as suggested in " the "Design Guidelines for Arria II Device" application note
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Basically, I want to optimize my pinout in order to minimize SSN issues. I have two 3V-banks to drive PCI pins and other GPIOs. No matter what setting I use, even with SSN optimization, the fitter is not able to give me a suitable pinout with regards to SSN. 

Basically, I don't assign 3V GPIOs and I let the fitter decide where to place them according to SSN optimization. But I still get SSN errors. 

If I manually place some pins (like PCI_AD) and set a "ground" barrier using reserved pins, I can optimize the SSN and I get almost 0 errors for normal GPIOs. However, I'll get SSN errors for the reserved pinds that are connected to ground.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Basically, I want to optimize my pinout in order to minimize SSN issues. I have two 3V-banks to drive PCI pins and other GPIOs. No matter what setting I use, even with SSN optimization, the fitter is not able to give me a suitable pinout with regards to SSN. 

Basically, I don't assign 3V GPIOs and I let the fitter decide where to place them according to SSN optimization. But I still get SSN errors. 

If I manually place some pins (like PCI_AD) and set a "ground" barrier using reserved pins, I can optimize the SSN and I get almost 0 errors for normal GPIOs. However, I'll get SSN errors for the reserved pinds that are connected to ground. 

--- Quote End ---  

I haven't used this particular tool within Quartus. It sounds like your second method is the most conservative, and should be safe. Its possible that the SSN errors on the grounded pins are bogus errors; does the documentation indicate what the criteria for an 'error' is? 

You can also perform a Hyperlynx (or similar tool) simulation with the driver IBIS models, and the routes extracted from the PCB, and see what the induced voltages are on your traces, i.e., you drive an aggressor trace and see what voltages appear on the victim traces. That'll help determine whether your PCI bus traces are routed too close together. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

have you tried to use I/O assignments from Altera's PCI core? 

http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/solutions/rd02162009_908.html
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dave: IBIS simulations can show with board routing issues, but i don't think it will help with package related SSN issues

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

IBIS simulations can show with board routing issues, but i don't think it will help with package related SSN issues 

--- Quote End ---  

I would hope they are somewhat related, given that the switching time of an I/O is intimately related to the impedance it is driving :) 

If the SSN inside a package is calculated based on di/dt and dv/dt, then without having some form of I/O impedance constraint, do the values Quartus provides give meaningful results? 

I haven't used this particular feature of Quartus. If you have some insight into how useful it is, I'd be happy to hear it, and then use the tool on my next board design.  

There's so many features to the tools now, its hard to keep up! 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

have you tried to use I/O assignments from Altera's PCI core? 

http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/solutions/rd02162009_908.html 

--- Quote End ---  

I use the pci compiler from SOPC Builder. It generates a tcl script that generates all PCI constraints except the pins' locations. I then use the fitter to select the proper pins for the PCI to minimize SSN but it can't seem to totally eliminate all SSN errors (i.e. more than 90% SSN) on my 3V pins. 

There are mainly 2 reasons : 

1 - I have a lot of 3V-I/Os other than the PCI bus itself 

2 - The PCI outputs drive a lot of current and it makes SSN worse. I'm not able to control the current-strength using pin planner. I haven't tried using the assignment editor.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I would hope they are somewhat related, given that the switching time of an I/O is intimately related to the impedance it is driving :) 

If the SSN inside a package is calculated based on di/dt and dv/dt, then without having some form of I/O impedance constraint, do the values Quartus provides give meaningful results? 

I haven't used this particular feature of Quartus. If you have some insight into how useful it is, I'd be happy to hear it, and then use the tool on my next board design.  

There's so many features to the tools now, its hard to keep up! 

Cheers, 

Dave 

--- Quote End ---  

For the record, you can enter your trace model for all your I/Os and it makes the SSN analyzer more accurate. That's why Altera recommands doing a pre-layout analysis with a 80 or 90% pass-fail criterion and then perform a post-layout analysis with your traces models and your actual PCB stackup with a pass-fail criterion of 50%.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

For the record, you can enter your trace model for all your I/Os and it makes the SSN analyzer more accurate. That's why Altera recommands doing a pre-layout analysis with a 80 or 90% pass-fail criterion and then perform a post-layout analysis with your traces models and your actual PCB stackup with a pass-fail criterion of 50%. 

--- Quote End ---  

The SSN analyzer sounds pretty useful then. I'll have to check it out. 

Out of interest, how much of your FPGA is the PCI core taking (once you include the backend Avalon-MM interface FIFOs, or whatever you are implementing). When I looked at PCI interfaces a while back, it was cheaper to use a PCI-to-local bus bridge from PLX Technologies. Depending on what FPGA you are using, perhaps a Cyclone GX with x1 PCIe and a PCIe-to-PCI bridge would be cost-effective, and less hassle to design (depending on your PCB real-estate). 

eg., PEX8111 x1 PCIe to PCI $23 at Mouser 

http://www.mouser.com/productdetail/plx-technology/pex8111-bc66fbcf/?qs=sgaepimzzmtifczob2abwx8plyc9mlqr 

Cyclone IV EP4CGX15 $25 at Altera 

http://www.buyaltera.com/scripts/partsearch.dll?detail&name=544-1475-nd 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yeah, I'll have to think about it. In all of our previous designs, we connected the PCI bus directly to an FPGA but this is the first time we ran an SSN analysis.  

The previous design was done with a Virtex-5. We want to port it to an Arria II FPGA 

, I know that we ran into some problems with the PCI (in the Virtex-5 FPGA) when connected to some specific backplane PCB, it is possible that this was an SSN problem.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I know that we ran into some problems with the PCI (in the Virtex-5 FPGA) when connected to some specific backplane PCB, it is possible that this was an SSN problem. 

--- Quote End ---  

What type of backplane? CompactPCI or regular PCI? 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It was a custom backplane. It only happened on a few backplanes so we didn't look more into it.

0 Kudos