Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

evolvable hardware

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I need to start a small project for evolvable hardware using some Altera device or development kit. The idea is to create optimised hardware using a genetic algorithm which outputs a solution for the design then configures the FPGA. The implementation is assessed automatically by a controller and the feedback returns as input to the genetic algorithm to produce the next generation solution. 

Though this problem is solved by many who work in this field I am a bit at a loss how this can be done using an Altera device or DK. Where can I find the structure of a valid configuration file and what Altera device would be suitable for such a small scale implementation? Starting from a simple circuit (say a full adder) how can we create a valid file for configuring a device? Is there this kind of documentation available? Does anybody know of some example implementation of this idea? The requirement here is to bypass tools like Quartus II and configure the device automatically, in a straightforward (hopefully valid) manner. 

I know this is different than what people usually discuss here, but if you know please help. 

Thanks 

John
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't know about genetic algorithms but just a thought. if you have multiple switches to choose one among various preconfigurations, wouldn't that work for a small scale circuit. By various configurations I mean you enable or disable preconfigured sections and choose from depending on your feedback. 

You can also have multiple fpga images but limited to your configuration scheme. The images, however need to be generated through the standard methodology.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you kaz, however we would like to go beyond the "preconfigured circuit" solution, since in principle the outcome of the evolutionary algorithm is unpredictable. What is needed is some ability to reconfigure in situ from within the testing loop.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have heard of partial reconfiguration and I am not sure if altera supports it. 

By partial reconfiguration you reconfigure part of device while the rest is running.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, ikalom. The topic of your post is my diploma project. I faced with exactly the same problem, because there is a luck of info about configuration file. If u find out something, let me know, please. If i find something, i ll inform u.

0 Kudos