Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

No available devices !! Where have they all gone ???

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have had no luck using Quartus Web Edition. First with Version 10 I could not compile a design. Now with the latest 11 SP1 there are no devices to select from in the Assignment Device. Just a blank list in the Available Devices !! What the hell is going on with this software and my computer :( 

Where have all of the devices gone ?? 

Do I need a license to enable them ?? 

regards 

David
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No, You've only downloaded Quartus software install itself. Go to downloads and download devices install files. They're separated depending on family You work on.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

No, You've only downloaded Quartus software install itself. Go to downloads and download devices install files. They're separated depending on family You work on. 

--- Quote End ---  

Are you sure about that because I just checked my install and I have all of the device files loaded in c:\altera\11.1sp1\quartus\common\deviceinfo but somehow the software doesn't see it !! 

I thought you would just need to download the one installation file and that was it. The website does not say anything else about additional downloads for the web edition. 

regards 

david
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Well here are the files, that I had downloaded previously: 

11.1_173_quartus_windows.exe (1.25GB) 

11.1_173_devices_stratix_hardcopy_windows.exe (3.53GB) 

11.1_173_devices_cyclone_max_legacy_windows.exe (1.04GB) 

11.1_173_devices_arria_windows.exe (924MB) 

I didn't check the install, since I don't do any desgins now, but those files were on the web and linked separately.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Well here are the files, that I had downloaded previously: 

11.1_173_quartus_windows.exe (1.25GB) 

11.1_173_devices_stratix_hardcopy_windows.exe (3.53GB) 

11.1_173_devices_cyclone_max_legacy_windows.exe (1.04GB) 

11.1_173_devices_arria_windows.exe (924MB) 

I didn't check the install, since I don't do any desgins now, but those files were on the web and linked separately. 

--- Quote End ---  

That's all done by the installer where it asks you which devices that you want to install. I selected all of them to be sure. That should be all you need to do. 

Where did you get those additional files from ? Do you have a link ? 

regards 

david
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It depends on what and how you are installing: 

1.- For the Web Edition, you only use a single EXE/SH file to install everything. 

2.- For the SP1 Installation (Subscription Edition), you need to have V11.1 installed first. But assuming you do, the Service Pack install is also all incluside in a single file. 

To install V11.1, you can use one of the following options: 

1.- Using the Altera Installer, you will be able to select the device families you want, and then the installer will download and install only those families. 

2.- Using the four files described by Socrates (not that you only need to install the device file that you need. For example, if you only need Cyclone or Max, you can install the 11.1_173_quartus_windows.exe and 11.1_173_devices_cyclone_max_legacy_windows.exe) 

3.- You can download the ISO (which is the DVD image). You can use open source utilities to mount as a DVD drive, or you can burn a DVD. 

Mafra, please describe which method you are using so we can better help you.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

It depends on what and how you are installing: 

1.- For the Web Edition, you only use a single EXE/SH file to install everything. 

2.- For the SP1 Installation (Subscription Edition), you need to have V11.1 installed first. But assuming you do, the Service Pack install is also all incluside in a single file. 

To install V11.1, you can use one of the following options: 

1.- Using the Altera Installer, you will be able to select the device families you want, and then the installer will download and install only those families. 

2.- Using the four files described by Socrates (not that you only need to install the device file that you need. For example, if you only need Cyclone or Max, you can install the 11.1_173_quartus_windows.exe and 11.1_173_devices_cyclone_max_legacy_windows.exe) 

3.- You can download the ISO (which is the DVD image). You can use open source utilities to mount as a DVD drive, or you can burn a DVD. 

Mafra, please describe which method you are using so we can better help you. 

--- Quote End ---  

Initially I installed V11.1 (build 173), but still no devices. Then it said that SP1 was available so I downloaded and installed that but noted that it used a differently directory. Still no devices available !! 

Then I decide to uninstall both builds and use a registry cleaner. Then I re-installed 11.1 SP1 build 261 and still no devices available even though all of the device database files have been installed !! 

Where did you get 11.1_173_devices_cyclone_max_legacy_windows.exe from ?? Is this part of the installation package ? 

regards 

david
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I installed Quartus 11.1 SP1 on a Vista Ultimate machine and the devices appear in the device selection box so there is some issue with the XP machine but what could it be ? 

On my original XP machine I reinstalled 10.1 SP1 and guess what the devices now appear !! Problem seems to be with 11.1 and Windows XP !! 

On another XP machine with Quartus 11.1 SP1, devices are available !! 

Why on one machine and not on the other ??
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Could be Altera bug. Check knowledge base.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When I use 10.1 and compile a design I get the following error. 

"Error: Selected feature of TimeQuest Analyzer is not available with your current license, or license does not exist" 

This is why I could not use the software in the first place !! 

doing a google search shows many other users with same problem but no solution. How to get Quartus to ignore the features it does not have a license for ?? Is there a basic timing analyzer like there is in MaxPlus II ?? I would be quite happy with that ;)
0 Kudos