Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20642 Discussions

Fastest 16bit parallel port (3.3V)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everyone, 

I am trying to build a kind of an All-Digital-PLL using a DDS from Analog Devices. 

The DDS allows programming the output frequency by using a 8bit or 16bit parallel port, 

which is sampled by a parallel clock generated by the DDS (PCLK max freq 250MHz). 

I am looking for a FPGA/CPLD that is able to compute 3 additions and to provide the output to the parallel port using the 250MHz clock (or as fast as possible). 

Can you recommend a device/ a device class? 

Regards, 

Dorin
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Dorin, 

--- Quote Start ---  

I am trying to build a kind of an All-Digital-PLL using a DDS from Analog Devices. 

The DDS allows programming the output frequency by using a 8bit or 16bit parallel port, 

which is sampled by a parallel clock generated by the DDS (PCLK max freq 250MHz). 

I am looking for a FPGA/CPLD that is able to compute 3 additions and to provide the output to the parallel port using the 250MHz clock (or as fast as possible). 

Can you recommend a device/ a device class? 

--- Quote End ---  

What is the Analog Devices part number? What FPGA part number? 

Without knowing the DDS part number, it is impossible to know what logic standard the DDS interface uses. For example, LVDS would work fine, SSTL would work fine, but 3.3V LVCMOS would probably not. I think the fastest switching rate on that logic standard for the FPGAs is around 167MHz. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Dave, 

the device is AD9910 and it uses a LVCMOS 3.3V interface. 

If the 250MHz is not achievable,  

I would settle for a device that can use the 250MHz Pclk  

provided by the AD9910 

and produce data at half clock rate (i.e. 125MHz). 

Regards, 

Dorin
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I know that 250 MHz data rate (= 125 MHz output toggle rate) can be managed by recent FPGAs, also using the LVCMOS IO standard. Simultaneous switching noise is probably the most serious problem. The adder can be pipelined according to the available device speed, even by cutting a single add operation, if necessary.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Dorin, 

--- Quote Start ---  

The device is AD9910 and it uses a LVCMOS 3.3V interface. 

--- Quote End ---  

This looks pretty similar to the DDS in the AD9956. 

Here's my notes on that component: 

http://www.ovro.caltech.edu/~dwh/carma_board/ad9956_tests.pdf (http://www.ovro.caltech.edu/%7edwh/carma_board/ad9956_tests.pdf

The schematics and board layout can be downloaded and viewed here: 

http://www.ovro.caltech.edu/~dwh/carma_board/ (http://www.ovro.caltech.edu/%7edwh/carma_board/

The DDS current-output will need to be filtered using an analog filter. In my application, the DDS output did not need to be higher than 50MHz. The filter design was simulated using LTSpice (its shown in the document I referenced). 

I'd recommend buying an evaluation board for the part and testing it. It helps to find subtle part issues. For example, the CML output on the AD9956 does not have termination resistors internal to the part. 

--- Quote Start ---  

If the 250MHz is not achievable,  

I would settle for a device that can use the 250MHz Pclk  

provided by the AD9910 

and produce data at half clock rate (i.e. 125MHz). 

--- Quote End ---  

FvM indicates that 125MHz DDR to achieve the 250MHz is possible with LVCMOS signals. 

You should create a design with the FPGA you plan to use, add appropriate pin capacitance to the FPGA-to-DDS connections, and then perform a TimeQuest timing analysis. That'll give you an idea of the timing margin. 

What functionality are you trying to implement with the DDS? 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos