Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20702 Discussions

HDL sentences skills

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi : 

I have read the HDL sentences as below,the two HDL sentences seems as feedback :the signal "Busyhold_clkB” at right in the first sentence show up at left in the second sentence,at the meantime, the signal “TaskBusy_clkB” at right in the second sentence show up at left in the first sentence.I wanna know how to understand the skills. 

1:assign TaskBusy_clkB = TaskStart_clkB | Busyhold_clkB; 

2:always @(posedge clk) 

Busyhold_clkB <= ~TaskDone_clkB & TaskBusy_clkB; 

thanks ~
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Busyhold_clkB is a sort of system status which you set or reset 

by respectively pulsing TaskStart_clkB or TaskDone_clkB. 

Busyhold_clkB will keep the last value indefinitely until the next pulse is received.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks for your reply~ 

I seems understand what you said, 

maybe I can change the above sentance like this: 

always @(posedge clk) 

Busyhold_clkB <= ~TaskDone_clkB & (TaskStart_clkB | Busyhold_clk); 

——> A <= C & (B | A); 

signal A set after meeting high level B,and keep high indefinitly.then the signal C will used to reset A.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

——> A <= C & (B | A); 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes, that's the same, although in your original code C signal logic was inverted, namely 

A <= ~C & (B | A); 

Please note that the above line must be included in a always @(posedge clk) statement. 

I guess your concerns are on the difference between assign and always statement. 

You'd better refer to a Verilog manual, which is more reliable and detailed than me :p. 

Anyway, in a few words: 

- this is not C programming; hdl functions are evaluated in parallel, not in a sequential way 

- assign dictates an operation to be performed continuously, independently from clock and where the statement is placed; you can place it before or after the always process which needs it, but the result would still be the same. An assign is generally synthesized in a combinatorial logic chain.  

- always @(posedge clk) means the following operations are to be executed only when a positive edge is detected on clk signal; this involves use of flip-flops during synthesis.
0 Kudos