Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Obscure ModelSim error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have come across this Modelsim error a few times now: 

Using the Nativel Link RTL simulation - Quartus 11.1sp1 Web Edition. 

# ** Fatal: Unexpected signal: 11. # ** Error: C:/qdesigns/bv5fpga/bb/ImageDataDispatch/iddRamRead/iddRamRead.vhd(208): VHDL Compiler exiting # ** Error: C:/altera/11.1/modelsim_ase/win32aloem/vcom failed. 

I then usually just switch to Gate Level Timing simulation, but today I have to do a 'long' simulation and I'd like to add RTL signals to the signals pane rather then adding the singular post mapping signals. 

Any clues here?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

the first line leads me to believe that there's a port/signal/variable that begins with a 11, which i thought Quartus would flat as being illegal VHDL

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

the first line leads me to believe that there's a port/signal/variable that begins with a 11, which i thought Quartus would flat as being illegal VHDL 

--- Quote End ---  

If it were that easy I wouldn't have come here!  

Anyway I ran Quartus Synthesis first, as you have to before you can start the testbench writer.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

it doesn't hurt to check the obvious 

you might try opening ModelSim without invoking it through NativeLink and try compiling the iddRamRead.vhd itself 

what's on line 208 of the mentioned file?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

you might try opening ModelSim without invoking it through NativeLink and try compiling the iddRamRead.vhd itself 

--- Quote End ---  

I only recently started using ModelSim in lieu of the internal simulator, the NativeLink is nice as I do all VHDL work inside Quartus. I'll give your suggestion a try. 

--- Quote Start ---  

what's on line 208 of the mentioned file? 

--- Quote End ---  

the final 'end architecture ;'
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I opened ModelSim directly and created a project and add the necessary files. But it chokes on that same file with the same error message. I played around with the options disabling optimizations etc. but to no avail. It obviously is a problem with the ModelSim VHDL compiler that doesn't handle everything the Quartus Synthesiser has no prblem with. Is there a possibility to pipe the output of the Qaurtus Synthesis into Modelsim? Else I guess I'll have to do with the Gate Level Simulation.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I opened ModelSim directly ... But it chokes on that same file 

--- Quote End ---  

Post the file. Perhaps a manual parsing of the source will expose the error. 

I've done stupid things like having a port named 'delay' on a component named 'delay' (or something like that), which yields completely bogus syntax errors. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos