Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers

is a PLL needed?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have never clocked a signal into an FPGA... unitl now and as far as I understand it I need to look at a pin while the clock is high, and clock the value(s) into a register. Where or when would I need to use a PLL? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I have never clocked a signal into an FPGA... unitl now and as far as I understand it I need to look at a pin while the clock is high, and clock the value(s) into a register. Where or when would I need to use a PLL? 

--- Quote End ---  

Its much easier to distribute a reference clock and then generate higher clock frequencies as needed. For example, communications systems have standard reference clocks (oh, so many standards), eg., 156.25MHz. You can take that frequency and make the obvious integer multiples 2x 312.5MHz, 4x 625MHz, 8x 1250MHz, etc., but you can also divide these higher frequencies to make other values. 

A PLL typically consists of; 

1) An input divider 

2) A phase-frequency detector with a charge-pump (current pulses) output 

3) A loop filter (current to voltage conversion) 

4) A voltage-controlled oscillator (VCO) 

5) A feedback divider 

6) Output dividers 

Look in the Altera device data sheets and you'll see examples. The VCOs operate over a fairly wide range, but the range still does not cover every frequency you might need, so that is where the output dividers kick in; they'll divide down from where the VCO can operate at, to what you want at the output. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Another reason to have a PLL in your system, is to zero out the effective clock network delay. 

If your data register is located in the IO Buffer, the data path delay to that register may only be the input buffer delay. However the clock delay to that register will have the IO Buffer delay and the clock network delay, which is significant. So this will may cause hold time issues for your data, with respect to clock. 

With the PLL, you can effectively zero out the clock network delay. 

Regards, 

Pete
0 Kudos