Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

ModelSim Error Undefined variable

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

While i was reading ModelSim Altera tutorial i created module modelSimTut in quartus 11 on verilog. It compiled fine. Then i opened ModelSim and created a project. In directory work i have created test.v with such code 

module test; reg clock, enable, load; initial begin clock = 1'b0; forever# 5 clock =~clock; end always @ (posedge clock) begin modelSimTut mod1 (.start(enable), .clock(clock), .load(load)); end endmodule  

but when i try to compile, there is an error near modelSimTut mod1 (Undefined variable: modelSimTut). I tried to add modelSimTut.v to project, to copy it to the same with test.v folder. I also tried to add its directory to source directories for ModelSim, but i still can`t compile it becouse an error. 

Also interesting that modelSimTut is highlited by blue and if open describe there is a path to modelSimTut.v file. 

Help me please to understand the reason of this problem.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Modelsim needs to be used to compile both source files, eg. 

1) Create a work library 

vlib work 

vmap work [pwd] 

2) Compile your source, eg., use the following form for each of your source files; 

vcom vhdl_file.vhd 

vlog verilog_file.v 

vlog -sv systemverilog_file.sv 

3) Compile your testbench 

vlog verilog_tb.v 

4) Run the testbench 

vsim -t ps -novopt verilog_tb 

add wave * 

run -a 

The GUI will have a similar procedure. Personally I use the command line. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanq very much for your relpy. 

When i tried to do this throug script i found that ModelSim can`t open modul because a white space in the path to its file.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The error message is primarly caused by a Verilog syntax error. Your trying to instantiate a module inside a sequential block, which isn't possible.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks a lot, gentleman. 

it is beautifull that there is one place where you can ask questions without fear of looking foolish and more about to get an answer)
0 Kudos