Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20638 Discussions

4Gb ram not supported for stratix V

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi guys I got the info from altera forum that 3Gb ram is minimum for straix V, so now i am working with 4Gb ram but still i am facing memory issues like peak memory 1851 megabytes 

I am also using windows 7 with 4Gb ram... 

so please help me out with that
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Turn on smart compilation option, then let Quartus use all available processors and finally, use design partitions. Quartus will parallelize partitions to different cpu's and it will eat Your PC resources in seconds.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I've encountered the same issue. 

For the couple Quartus 11 / Stratix V, the only way seems to swap to a 64 bits OS with 4 Go of RAM or more. 

As an example, it runs ok on a Windows 7 64 bits with 8 Go.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

32bit systems can't use more than 4 GB of memory. Windows XP allows using 3GB of memory even if 4GB exist. Use 64bit OS then.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

But in the data sheet if i am using stratix V i need 12 Gb of ram for that...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

32bit systems can't use more than 4 GB of memory. Windows XP allows using 3GB of memory even if 4GB exist. Use 64bit OS then. 

--- Quote End ---  

By default 32bit XP (and probably win7) limits individual programs to 2GB, even if you have 4GB installed. Even with 4GB of chips, because of address space overheads for PCI slots, motherboard periferals etc, you actually only have access to just over 3GB of physical RAM. 

See here for info:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx 

and see here to modify the boot.ini to allow Quartus to use 3GB ram : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487508
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The memory suggestions are clearly documented in the quartus ii software version 11.1 sp1 device support release notes. When working with larger Stratix V designs, you apparently can't avoid to upgrade your computer. 16 GB is available at very affordable prices for all recent PC boards. 32 GB is already available. Also most new notebook computers have 16 GB.

0 Kudos