Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

how to automatically program using the usb blaster?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

we are working with altera device that we need to program each time we power the board and it done alot and each time we need to program using the altera blaster program ,open, select file (the programming file is fixed),program ... time wasted  

is there api that we can write my own program that will do it automatically my singal mouse click? is there api for the usb blaster? that could help !! 

Thanks
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Isn't there a flash memory connected to the FPGA on your board? If there is one, you only need to program the flash once. Then every time at power on, the flash will automatically load the programming file into the FPGA.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

the board is connected directly to the usb blaster, we use this configurtion for testing so we do not have flash memory memory...  

in real life the board is connect to the system that is able to program it using other fpga. 

i looking for way program thru pc in the lab for testing to save the time programing each time i power the board. 

Pascal
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have you tried using the command line programmer? 

If you have one device on your chain then the command is something like: 

quartus_pgm -m jtag -o p;<yourfile>.pofOn Linux you'll need to escape the semicolon. 

If you have more than one cable available or more than one device on the cable then it gets a bit more complex but the command line programmer can handle these cases.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It worked ! i just needed to add the cable configuration by added "-c usb-blaster" to the command line. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

HI, I also am seeking an API in order to integrate USB blasting into our test software. the command line command helps, but an API would save some operator intervention. 

Is there an API? There must be a solution for aiding factory firmware programming. Labview?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I have also the same issue (it's the first time that I use Altera Quartus Programmer), but I need to program and then erase a MaxV CPLD directly from labview, does anyone have an example please? I find some command line in order to program it but nothing to erase it... Is there any document about it?

0 Kudos