Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

loss of icmp packets

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm using iniche stack with "default" set-up ( I have not done any type of update/modification or similar). 

I've two thread : 

1) one empty  

2) second one stack standard init: 

alt_iniche_init(); 

netmain(); 

while (!iniche_net_ready) 

tk_sleep(1); 

after the init (iniche_net_ready==1), I send continuous icmp request (from laptod with WinXp to target ) and observe the correct response from target but also several icmp "time-out" ( note: not message as "host unreachable") 

Tips on how to investigate the problem? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The CPU or TCP/IP stack or TSE MAC core doesn't work.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

asap I'll perfom the same test whit tcp/ip or udp/ip traffic...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Install a Ethernet scanner such as Wireshark to check out exactly what kind of packets go in and out of the PC. 

Do you have any error messages written in the Nios console? 

Do you get those timeouts between good answers, or do you have only good answers first and then only timeouts after a certain point?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, wireshark doesn't show error and Nios console also. 

I've checked the IP/ICMP statistic data structures and seems that I recieve n packets, send n packets (response) and I don't have error.  

I've this time out (1 or more) between sequence of good response.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

are there any other packets on the network that are received by the Nios system? Even if they don't make it answer, they could fill up a fifo and some icmp requests could be dropped.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I thinks the problem is this. 

The connection is pont-to-point but the laptop is configured to works inside a LAN, so is possible that NIOS received no icmp traffic. 

How can I expand the rx buffer?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What do You mean connection is point-to-point but then telling that it's configured for LAN? What LAN? Another connection?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

point-to-point means: connection from PC to Nios with a ethernet cable, without ethernet hub/switch/router and via fixed IP address on both peer. 

When I said the PC was able to works inside LAN I said the PC had a DHCP client, antivirus SW (with automatic update) and maybe several service due to atoher application (e.g. outlook).So, the laptop could generate traffic and to congest the Iniche stack.It's only a idea.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Nah, it should work fine. Are the timing constrains of the design are ok? What's the frequency You're clocking Nios?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm working at 50MHZ and I didn't see any problem due to synch/clock anomaly
0 Kudos