FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5915 Discussions

Altera DE0 Nano USB Video streaming

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am currently involved in a project to develop a vision system that can stream images from a CMOS 5MP camera module to a PC and display the image using the NIOS2 processor of the DE0 Nano. One of our requirement is to stream it via a High speed USB channel to the PC (like a web camera). We currently have the DE0 Nano development kit with us and it is provided with a USB blaster cable. Would it be possible to use this USB interface to stream video packets to the PC or do we need a separate HS Usb controller module to be interfaced with the DE0 Nano to stream video data? 

Any quick help is appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Nanda
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I am currently involved in a project to develop a vision system that can stream images from a CMOS 5MP camera module to a PC and display the image using the NIOS2 processor of the DE0 Nano. One of our requirement is to stream it via a High speed USB channel to the PC (like a web camera). We currently have the DE0 Nano development kit with us and it is provided with a USB blaster cable. Would it be possible to use this USB interface to stream video packets to the PC or do we need a separate HS Usb controller module to be interfaced with the DE0 Nano to stream video data? 

--- Quote End ---  

The DE0-nano USB interface is a USB-Blaster interface. It uses a serial connection to the JTAG pins on the FPGA. The fastest you can transfer data is about 6Mbps (with a 6MHz JTAG clock). 

You can use the FTDI FT245 or FT2232 modules in FIFO mode. According to the FT2232H documentation, there is a synchronous FIFO mode that can operate at up to 40MB/s 

http://www.ftdichip.com/products/ics/ft2232h.htm 

SLS also have some USB products:  

http://www.slscorp.com/products/ 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Thanks for the quick reply. I went through the FTDI link posted on the previous reply and it seems to be a single USB controller chip. Are there any additional hardware that needs to be soldered on to a PCB to make the DE0 Nano <-> FTDI chip interface work, or are there any ready to use FTDI modules available on Digikey or Sparkfun? If so could you kindly post the link?  

What protocol is suggested to be used to facilitate communication between the DE0Nano and FTDI chip, (for e.g. SPI or I2C or UART) to get a speed close to High speed?  

Thanks, 

Nanda
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

are there any ready to use FTDI modules available on Digikey or Sparkfun? If so could you kindly post the link?  

--- Quote End ---  

I purchased these two modules: 

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?vendor=0&keywords=um245r 

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?vendor=0&keywords=ft2232h+mini+module 

--- Quote Start ---  

Are there any additional hardware that needs to be soldered on to a PCB to make the DE0 Nano <-> FTDI chip interface work 

--- Quote End ---  

No extra hardware needed. I plugged the UM245R module into the BEMICRO-PROTO board and tested the asynchronous FIFO interface. I haven't tested the FT2232H and its synchronous FIFO interface. 

--- Quote Start ---  

What protocol is suggested to be used to facilitate communication between the DE0Nano and FTDI chip, (for e.g. SPI or I2C or UART) to get a speed close to High speed?  

--- Quote End ---  

The UM245R FIFO mode uses an 8-bit data plus 4 control signals interface. 

I haven't looked at the requirements for the FT2232H synchronous FIFO interface. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you Dave. I shall look into the two links and see what is more suitable for us. Will keep you posted on the progress that we make. 

Thanks, 

Nanda
0 Kudos