Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Can i use a separate file to list all the files during compilation.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi i want to know whether it is possible to use a separate file to list all the files i am using in the design and i just want to use that particular file to direct the quartus tool to automatically take the file from the file list. 

Like when we manuaaly add files in the GUI it becomes hectic if your project has some 100 files as in my case and plus my file list is ready i just dont want to manually add each file in the GUI. Maybe a .tcl can help but i have very less knowledge of using these .tcl file for full flow. The only knowledge i have in .tcl file was to generate timing reports using quartus_sta -t sample.tcl. So is there any such way to solve my problem. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Use Tcl. 

I posted an example design for the DE2 board in this thread. 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33462 

Follow the instructions in the thread to build the example. Then look at the Tcl synth.tcl script. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi dave thanks for sharing your knowledge. I am grateful. :)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi dave 

The example design was very useful Thankyou 

But is there a way we can automate the running of Quartus Projects after completion of running of another project  

What i am looking is that i have to run two projects say transmitter and a reciever overnight  

If i start running both simultaneously the quartus throw me an error "Out of memory" during fitting stage 

Is there a Tcl script so can automate the running of two projects one after the other  

So we can utilise the time effectively
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Is there a Tcl script so can automate the running of two projects one after the other  

--- Quote End ---  

Yes, you just use a loop in Tcl. 

For example, I have a board that has four FPGAs. Each one has an ID register and slight differences in functionality. When the design is compiled, I create a timestamp, and then run a loop where each is synthesized. 

Here's the basics of the code ... 

# -----------------------------------------------------------------# Build the design# ----------------------------------------------------------------- puts " - Building the design for the 4 FPGAs" # Build timestamp# Use the same timestamp for each of the four FPGAs.# Timestamp is in UTC seconds. set timestamp puts " - Build timestamp $timestamp (0x)" # Time the build set start_build # Create configurations for each FPGA for {set fpga_num 0} {$fpga_num < 4} {incr fpga_num} { # Time the per FPGA build set start_fpga # Create a working folder set dwork $qwork/data$fpga_num if {!} { puts " - Creating the FPGA#$fpga_num work folder; $dwork" file mkdir $dwork } cd $dwork # Create a new project project_new -overwrite "data" # Add the files data_files # Setup the pinout and default constraints set device_type 0 set tx_enable 1 set rx_terminate 1 data_pinout $device_type $fpga_num $tx_enable $rx_terminate # Timing constraints data_timing_constraints # Setup the generics set_parameter -name FPGA_NUM $fpga_num set_parameter -name TIMESTAMP $timestamp # Process the design puts " - Processing the design for FPGA#$fpga_num" execute_flow -compile # Use one of the following to save the settings project_close# export_assignments # Copy the RBF file puts " - Renaming the RBF file data$fpga_num.rbf" file copy -force "data.rbf" "$qwork/data$fpga_num.rbf" set end_fpga set str ] puts " - FPGA$fpga_num build time: $str minutes" } set end_build set str ] puts " - *** Total build time: $str minutes ***" # Create the single DATA-FPGA configuration file cd $qwork puts " - Creating the configuration file data_basic.bin" exec cat data0.rbf data1.rbf data2.rbf data3.rbf > data_basic.bin  

You should be able to implement something like this. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Dave  

Thank you for the script  

Most of my issues are resolved,But a small issue that  

While executing the Script file  

"execute_flow -compile" command completes the Quartus II flow  

after this a window pops up  

"full compilation was successful (1206 warnings)

Then its waiting till i manually pushes the dialog box and after that it executes the "project_close" and takes up the next project for synthesis automatically as written in TCL file  

Can we close the dialog box showing the warnings through TCL script and continue with the next project as they can be checked from report files  

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

But a small issue that  

While executing the Script file  

"execute_flow -compile" command completes the Quartus II flow  

after this a window pops up  

"full compilation was successful (1206 warnings)

Then its waiting till i manually pushes the dialog box and after that it executes the "project_close" and takes up the next project for synthesis automatically as written in TCL file  

--- Quote End ---  

That is a 'new feature' then. I don't recall having to press Ok. The script was used under Quartus 10.1, or perhaps 9.0SP2, I forget which. 

Take a look at the help for the Tcl commands, perhaps there is an option to suppress the dialog box. The other option is to run the script using the command-line version of the synthesis tool. 

Let me know if you figure it out, and I'll make the change to my script too. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Dave  

Just inserting the TCL command "disable_msg_box" before execute_flow -compile had resolved the issue  

After inserting this Quartus flow didn't stop till the end of the script and all modules got synthesized  

Thanks for your help
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Just inserting the TCL command "disable_msg_box" before execute_flow -compile had resolved the issue  

After inserting this Quartus flow didn't stop till the end of the script and all modules got synthesized  

--- Quote End ---  

Excellent! 

Thanks for posting the fix, I'll add it to my script too :) 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos