Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

ModelSim vsim-3039 fatal error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I would like to simulate a very simple design in SystemVerilog and to compare the results of RTL and gate level simulation. The RTL simulation works OK but if I launch the gate level simulation the ModelSim reports:# ALTERA version supports only a single HDL# ** Fatal: (vsim-3039) D:/... failed.# FATAL ERROR while loading design# Error loading design# Error: Error loading design  

Can anybody help me? Many thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Modelsim simulates SystemVerilog just fine. 

What's with the D:/... in the error message? That doesn't look like a valid source file. 

This thread has some SystemVerilog code, you could try that 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34391 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

dwh, 

the full line in question is: 

# ** Fatal: (vsim-3039) D:/1AlteraDsgn/Quart11/0SysVerilog/CombRepeater/CombRepeaterTF.sv(5): Instantiation of 'CombRepeater' failed. 

It contains the path to my design, I considered it not important. 

Jaromir Kolouch
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The error message tells you the problem: Instantiation of 'CombRepeater' failed. 

Have you compiled the source for 'CombRepeater'? 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dave, 

I have launched the Fitter (Place & Route) in the Task pane of Quartus GUI, passed OK, then I launched EDA Netlist Writer, and then Tools => Run EDA Simulation Tool => EDA Gate Level Simulation..., all of the Quartus GUI. I believe the Quartus ensures proper setting of ModelSim, here is corresponding part of the ModelSim log - I guess it shows all necessary: 

# vcom -93 -work work {CombRepeater.vho}# Model Technology ModelSim ALTERA vcom 6.6d Compiler 2010.11 Nov 2 2010# -- Loading package standard# -- Loading package std_logic_1164# -- Loading package vital_timing# -- Loading package vital_primitives# -- Loading package cycloneiv_atom_pack# -- Loading package cycloneiv_components# -- Compiling entity combrepeater# -- Compiling architecture structure of combrepeater# # vlog -sv -work work +incdir+D:/1AlteraDsgn/Quart11/0SysVerilog/CombRepeater {D:/1AlteraDsgn/Quart11/0SysVerilog/CombRepeater/CombRepeaterTF.sv}# Model Technology ModelSim ALTERA vlog 6.6d Compiler 2010.11 Nov 2 2010# -- Compiling module CombRepeaterTF# # Top level modules:# CombRepeaterTF#
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Modelsim-Altera only supports single-language compilation. Your example is compiling both VHDL and SystemVerilog. 

Change your project settings to generate a Verilog netlist (.vo) instead of VHDL netlist (.vho). 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is the valuable answer, I have changed settings to SystemVerilog and it is working OK. 

Thank you! Jaromir
0 Kudos