Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Trouble with EPCS pin assignments in Quartus II 11.0

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am using an EPCS16 to configure a Cyclone III EP3C25Q240 and configuration works fine. 

However, I also want to use the EPCS16 for Remote Update, which requires that I connect the EPCS signals to the epcs_controller component of my Qsys design in Quartus II. When I do this I get the following error message from the QII compiler: 

error: cannot place i/o pin epcs_data with i/o standard 3.3-v lvcmos in pin location 24 -- possible switch coupling with i/o pin epcs_dclk in pin location 23. 

This is nonsense of course since the pins I am using are the correct ones for the EP3C25Q240, and the serial configuration works. 

How can I convince Quartus II to allow this pin configuration without generating an error?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I remember previous "nonsense" errors related to EPCS pins. I guess, in this case assigning 0 MHz toggle rate to the DCLK pin in pin planner or assignment editor will help.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That did the trick, my design now compiles and I can program the EPCS through JTAG. I haven't tried it with Remote Update yet, but hopefully that will work too. 

Thanks FvM for the quick reply. Saved me countless hours. :)
0 Kudos