Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16612 Discussions

please help.. having problem with altera DE1 Cyclone II EP2C20F484C7

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am stuck with a altera DE1 board. When I turn the board on. No LED cycles through 0 to F and only the 7segment LED is Glowing. Can Anyone help .. please. I am stuck with is and also with the project i am doing on the board.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I am stuck with a altera DE1 board. 

--- Quote End ---  

Someone recently contacted me off-list asking questions about the DE1 board. I created the attached de1_basic.zip file for him. 

Unzip de1_basic.zip into c:/temp  

Read c:/temp/de1_basic/readme.txt  

Ask questions. 

Let me know if the polarity of the LEDs or hex displays is inverted. I don't have this board, so could not do a visual check. 

cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks. am going through the zip file. will contact you if i am stuck. thanks once again.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

actually am a newbie in this programming language.. the file you have attached, are they for the power on test? Thankyou

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

when i first got the board and when it was connected by the usb, all the leds blinked and the 7 segment displays cycled from 0 to F. that is it was alright. however, when i downloaded my project, it just gave the same outputs again n again for different sets of inputs.  

thats why i put it to program mode instead of run and did AS programming. and erased the .sof file.  

and from that time onwards whenever i turn the board on, i just find the 4 0s on the 7 segment displays. no cycling and no blinking of leds. 

please help in this regard.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

actually am a newbie in this programming language.. the file you have attached, are they for the power on test? 

--- Quote End ---  

The zip file contains an example design. 

If you follow through the readme.txt, it will result in a programming file. 

You can then start the Quartus programmer, detect the devices in the JTAG chain, select the programming file you just created for the FPGA, and then download it to the board. 

The design will generate a count on the hex displays, blink LEDs, and do whatever else I have described in the top-level design, i.e., read the comments in de1_basic/src/de1.vhd. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

when i first got the board and when it was connected by the usb, all the leds blinked and the 7 segment displays cycled from 0 to F. that is it was alright. however, when i downloaded my project, it just gave the same outputs again n again for different sets of inputs.  

thats why i put it to program mode instead of run and did AS programming. and erased the .sof file.  

and from that time onwards whenever i turn the board on, i just find the 4 0s on the 7 segment displays. no cycling and no blinking of leds. 

please help in this regard. 

--- Quote End ---  

You need to read the user manual for the board. You may have done a couple of things; 

1) Disabled the device from configuring when the power comes on. 

I'm not sure what power-on configuration options this board has. You may have selected one that does not currently work, eg., it does not have a programming file to load the FPGA. For example, a flash device that is blank. 

2) You may have erased the power-on configuration device. 

In this case, nothing will happen when you turn the power on, the board will be waiting for you to program the FPGA. 

If you download the example I gave you to the board using JTAG and it works, then you know the board is fine. Then you can figure out how to program this design into whatever the board uses for power-on configuration. 

The key to understanding the above comments is that there is a single design, and two possible methods for configuring the FPGA. (1) A configuration loaded over JTAG into the FPGA is volatile, it goes away when the power is off. (2) The design can be programmed into non-volatile memory and the FPGA will be configured from that memory when the power is turned on. 

Now that you know what you are looking for, you need to re-read the user manuals for this board. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dave, can you kindly reply to my last post...Thankyou

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

can you kindly reply to my last post... 

--- Quote End ---  

I thought I did :) There are two replies above. 

Which question did I not answer, or what aspect is still unclear to you? 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

You need to read the user manual for the board. You may have done a couple of things; 

1) Disabled the device from configuring when the power comes on. 

I'm not sure what power-on configuration options this board has. You may have selected one that does not currently work, eg., it does not have a programming file to load the FPGA. For example, a flash device that is blank. 

2) You may have erased the power-on configuration device. 

In this case, nothing will happen when you turn the power on, the board will be waiting for you to program the FPGA. 

If you download the example I gave you to the board using JTAG and it works, then you know the board is fine. Then you can figure out how to program this design into whatever the board uses for power-on configuration. 

The key to understanding the above comments is that there is a single design, and two possible methods for configuring the FPGA. (1) A configuration loaded over JTAG into the FPGA is volatile, it goes away when the power is off. (2) The design can be programmed into non-volatile memory and the FPGA will be configured from that memory when the power is turned on. 

Now that you know what you are looking for, you need to re-read the user manuals for this board. 

Cheers, 

Dave 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks Dave.. Thanks A Lot.. Accomplished :D .....
0 Kudos