Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20644 Discussions

Read program from the CPLD Altera MAX7128S

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everyone, I am try to extract the program file from the Altera CPLD MAX7128S (type EPM7128STC100-6) but my experience is not enough. Try the read the information with the Altera Quartus II v.11 and USB Blaster but the software show only one option "Blank Check". When I make this check result is: "Successfully performed operation(s)" - showed on the attachment picture. 

Is everyone know hot to readback the information from the CPLD with Quartus II v.11? 

My be chip is locked or software restriction of the program or update on the Quatrus II v.11 software... 

With best regards 

Angelov
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Blank check just checks that the device's flash is blank. So if that succeeds, there's nothing in it.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

See https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd08192010_758.html 

So, I suspect your security bit must be set. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your answers, this PCB is interesting for me. I am try with different PCB and on it blank-check is not success. In this way I have not active another option on the programmer, only I can used the blank-check option.... I am attached the picture on this situation. 

My be this chip really locked, or I can't read correct command on the program - From you opinion Is there an option to check is this security bit is checked? 

Thank you for your time. 

Angelov
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Your second screen shot shows a different problem - likely to be a faulty/damaged device or assembly. 

No. You can't check whether the security bit is set. However, if you can't 'examine' it then it probably is set. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you, now try to delete the information from the chip and reply with onother one. 

Thank you for your answers. 

With best regards 

Angelov
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Some assumptions may be wrong. 

- MAX7128S not responding with proper JTAG ID can also mean that the JTAG interface has been disabled. In this case it could be only re-enabled with a parallel programmer. 

- I notice that the "Examine" option is always disabled for MAX128S in Quartus programmer while it's available e.g. for MAX7128A. This could mean that it's actually not supported, either by a restriction of the device or the Quartus software. I have no MAX7000S device available for further checks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello again, thank you for your correctly answer. My Last test on the PLC is replacing the Altera chip (MAX7128S) with new one and again test to read with JTAG programmer and Quartus software v.11.  

The result is the same with the first time (post# 1) I have only the blank option on the display. Have not an active another option...!? 

My be thats mean the JTAG or this sofware. If that is thre software restriction on the software wich type software I can use to manage information on this MAX7128S. 

Or I think to programing one chip with the some test file for that reason - Is there an researcher to send me a test file. With this file I will try to programming the new one MAX7128S. 

Thank you for your time. 

Angelov
0 Kudos