Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16598 Discussions

Setting directory for working files

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

is it possible to set a working directory in a Quartus II project where all the report files and temporary synthesis files get stored? I want to have a clean project directory after synthesis with just the source files and the synthesized project. 

Best regards 

Martin
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The /db and /incremental_db will always be right below the project. I always go to Assignments -> Settings -> Compilation and check the box to save output files into a directory. I usually just type "qout" there. I think it makes a huge difference in organization, and wish Altera would make that the default.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

thanks for your hint. It would be nice if it was more customizable because the gernated .sof file also gets put into the selected directory. 

Do you also know a way to tell Qsys to put all files except the .sopcinfo file into a seperate directory?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm still trying to get it to be the default, and will work on customization later. :) 

What are the problems with the .sof being written to that directory? There might be a technical issue I don't understand. 

I don't use .qsys much, so can't answer the last one.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

is it possible to set a working directory in a Quartus II project where all the report files and temporary synthesis files get stored? I want to have a clean project directory after synthesis with just the source files and the synthesized project. 

--- Quote End ---  

If you use a synthesis tcl script or makefile, you have a lot more flexibility as to where files are output. 

This thread has a very basic script: 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35687 

This one is much more complicated, and includes regeneration of Qsys systems via Tcl scripts (read the appendix in the doc): 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35678 

If you wanted the .sof or .pof files in a specific directory, then edit the Tcl and have it move them there when the project is completed. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

@Rysc: I want to have all files which are needed for synthesis and the generated .sof file in one directory and all temporary files is another directory. This would make it easier for me to add the project to version control. I just would have to need the folder with the temporary files and then add all the other files to version control. 

@Dave: Thanks a lot for the examples! Are these TCL scripts handwritten or are you using some shortcuts to create these files? 

Best regards 

Martin
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Martin, 

--- Quote Start ---  

Thanks a lot for the examples! Are these TCL scripts handwritten or are you using some shortcuts to create these files? 

--- Quote End ---  

They're handwritten. However, the versions I use are less verbose. 

Tcl allows you to put scripts in a common location that is specified by the TCLLIBPATH path environment variable. You can put the re-useable Tcl procedures in scripts there. I use environment variables to describe where I want everything. Since I don't want to have to make people setup their environment before they can use my scripts, I dumbed them down first :) 

I also have Quartus and Modelsim output their build results into a version specific folder, eg., in the c:/build directory, I have 

c:/build/quartus/v9.0_sp2_full 

c:/build/quartus/v10.1_full 

c:/build/quartus/v11.1_sp2_full 

c:/build/modelsim/v6.5b_se 

c:/build/modelsim/v6.6c_ase 

c:/build/modelsim/v6.6d_ase 

c:/build/modelsim/v10.0c_ase 

i.e., I have Quartus and its corresponding Modelsim-ASE, and I have a full-edition of Modelsim-SE. This allows me to build the same project with multiple versions of Quartus+Modelsim while keeping the build results. 

I use CVS for source control. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos