Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Cygwin Win32 error 487

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello all, I am encountering this error when running Cygwin tools in the Nios GUI version 9.1: 

elf2dat --infile=sss_test.elf --outfile=mem_init/hdl_sim/sdram_0.dat --base=0x0c000000 --end=0x0fffffff --width=32 --create-lanes=0 11 ? (7064) c:\altera\91\quartus\bin\cygwin\bin\sh.exe: *** fatal error - couldn't allocate heap, Win32 error 487, base 0x800000, top 0x810000, reserve_size 61440, allocsize 65536, page_const 4096 11 sh 7224 fork: child -1 - died waiting for longjmp before initialization, retry 0, exit code 0x100, errno 11 C:/altera/91/nios2eds/bin/sh_pl.sh: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable  

I have already done the rebaseall command and also the solution offered here: http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-maxmem.html 

Does anyone have any other suggestions of how to fix this? 

It is cygwin DLL version 1.7.0.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you are using Mcafee or Norton anti-virus, please disable them while working on Altera stuff.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

If you are using Mcafee or Norton anti-virus, please disable them while working on Altera stuff. 

--- Quote End ---  

We have Symantec and us peons are not allowed (or even able) to disable it.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I suggest, 

1. Make the entire altera directory read, write to all users 

2. Make the eclipse project directory read, write to all users 

3. Start cygwin as administrator, you can right click the shortcut of altera tools, and select Run As Administrator
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Be sure to only have the Altera version of cygwin installed on your computer, and try to disable the antivirus. Some report the problem when Logitech webcam software is installed too. Good luck.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Search the web for info about cygwin failing to load shared libraries and issues emulating fork(). 

There is a cygwin program that sorts out the base addresses for all shared libraries and can make this all better. 

The underlying problem is that windows shared libraries aren't position independant code, so to be sharable they have to load at the same address in every binary. If the 'default' load addresses clash, cygwin can't emulate fork.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

None of the solutions here or on the web fixed our problem unfortunately. I've given up on trying.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I guess you need to update your cygwin files for 32 as well as 64 bit in the altera software.

0 Kudos
MTora2
Beginner

I am using Windows (NIOS II 10.0 installed) and I found that if I run Nios II as administrator (run as administrator), I will get the above error. Then I just run it regularly and the problem solved.

I hope this help!

0 Kudos