Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

DDR3 critical error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am use Arria II do do some experimental work using on board DDR3 memory. 

I have used DDR3 ALTPHY, I have not export "external_connection" as it seems all the conduit singal is status output, I guess there should be no problem is leave it.(correct me if I am wrong) 

I have connect the signal to FPGA pin, and build, the system seems working(I am able to run NIOS software without any problem), however there are few critical warnings I am a bit concerning.  

the first one is: 

Critical Warning (10169): Verilog HDL warning at alt_mem_ddrx_controller.v(495): the port and data declarations for array port "afi_rrank" do not specify the same range for each dimension 

Critical Warning (10169): Verilog HDL warning at alt_mem_ddrx_controller.v(496): the port and data declarations for array port "afi_wrank" do not specify the same range for each dimension 

The second one is: 

Critical Warning: ALTMEMPHY IP was generated using a speedgrade of 4, but is being compiled for a speedgrade of 5. Timing analysis may not be valid due to violated timing model assumptions. 

Critical Warning: DDR Timing requirements not met 

any ideas how could I get rid of these warnings? Thanks for your help in advacne
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I got the same Critical Warnings with a DDR2 design. This is what I did to eliminate them. 

Open the alt_mem_ddrx_controller_st_top.v file. I expect that you will find this line: 

parameter CFG_USE_SHADOW_REGS = 0; 

If you see this line, my guess is that the outputs in question (afi_rrank and afi_wrank) are not being used. In my case, these outputs were not even included by the instantiating module, ddr2_core_alt_mem_ddrx_controller_top.v. 

To make the widths match, find these lines: 

parameter CFG_RRANK_BUS_WIDTH = 0; 

parameter CFG_WRANK_BUS_WIDTH = 0; 

and change them to: 

parameter CFG_RRANK_BUS_WIDTH = MEM_IF_CHIP * (DWIDTH_RATIO/2) * MEM_IF_DQS_WIDTH; 

parameter CFG_WRANK_BUS_WIDTH = MEM_IF_CHIP * (DWIDTH_RATIO/2) * MEM_IF_DQS_WIDTH; 

Save and compile.
0 Kudos