Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16612 Discussions

Can't simulate ALTERA_PLL

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm using Quartus 12.0 SP2 and standalone ModelSim PE. I have a design in Cyclone V with a MegaFunction generated ALTERA_PLL. The generated simulation source file mypllname.vho which instantiates altera_pll only references: 

LIBRARY altera_lnsim; 

USE altera_lnsim.altera_lnsim_components.all; 

(in addition to ieee). 

When I try to sim my testbench, ModelSim reports that altera_pll is not bound. Shouldn't it be in altera_lnsim? I used msim_setup.tcl to compile the Altera libraries. It called for two files to be compiled into the altera_lnsim library. altera_lnsim_components.vhd compiled OK but altera_lnsim_for_vhdl.sv did not, since it is not in the Quartus distribution (I'm using the Web freebie if that makes a difference). 

Hopefully I'm missing something obvious. Thanks for any info and advice.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you figure out how to solve this? I am having the same error with altera_pll supposedly unbound.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Did you figure out how to solve this? I am having the same error with altera_pll supposedly unbound. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

To solve this trouble, you have to modify the altera_lnsim_components.vhd file. Copy this file in local and do the following modification: 

Extract of the code of the altera_pll component 

pll_vco_div :integer := 0; 

pll_output_clk_frequency :string := "0 MHz"; -- Paste the original code here 

pll_bwctrl :integer := 0; 

pll_cp_current :integer := 0; 

pll_fractional_division :integer := 0; 

pll_fractional_cout :integer := 24; 

-- pll_output_clk_frequency :string := "0 MHz"; -- Original code
0 Kudos