Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20638 Discussions

FPGA: Can't compile due to pins swapped

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I am doing final year project in robotics and creating our own robotic vision hardware using FPGA Cyclone III EP3C25(Q240C8). 

We have just updated our robotics vision schematics with FPGA. This requires a couple of pins to be moved using Quartus II Pin Planner. However, we are getting errors in compiling after moving the pins. Tried looking for this problem (and solution) online, but haven't been able to sort this out. 

Kindly advise on this problem. 

ERRORS: 

• Error (176628): I/O atom "CAM_DVAL~input" of type cycloneiii_io_ibuf must be assigned to the same I/O location as the other I/O atoms in its group 

• Error (176628): I/O atom "CAM_FVAL~input" of type cycloneiii_io_ibuf must be assigned to the same I/O location as the other I/O atoms in its group 

• Error (176628): I/O atom "CAM_DATA
  • Error (176504): Can't place cycloneiii_io_ibuf "CAM_DVAL~input" to location "IOIBUF_X53_Y9_N15" 

• Error (176504): Can't place cycloneiii_io_pad "CAM_DVAL" to location "PIN 143" 

• Error (176504): Can't place cycloneiii_io_ibuf "CAM_FVAL~input" to location "IOIBUF_X53_Y9_N22" 

• Error (176504): Can't place cycloneiii_io_pad "CAM_FVAL" to location "PIN 142" 

• Error (176504): Can't place cycloneiii_io_ibuf "CAM_DATA
  • Error (176504): Can't place cycloneiii_io_pad "CAM_DATA
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You have apparently assigned group attributes to the pins that aren't compatible with the changed placement. Did you try to remove it?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi FvM, 

Thanks for the reply. Sorted this out. I have to manually remove some folders (db, incremental db and output) from the project folder. This will force quartus to compile from ground zero. It is running fine now.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, I had the same problem together with Quartus 11.1 SP2 when Rapid recompile was enabled. 

Disabling Rapid recompile fixed the issue (deleting the db, .. folders also helped).
0 Kudos